Will this survive

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by m_lacom99, Nov 8, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Hey all reefers.

I bought a nice piece of LR from tonga. Got a good deal on it too. it has allot of stuff on it but im not sure if the stuff survived... heres a pic of some sponge. Do you think it will live. Im not even sure if it was alive when i got the rock. It didnt seem to grow in the last week (i bought the rock about a week ago) but i dont know much about sponges so can you let me know what you think.

Thanks

Marc.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

From what I know about sponges ( and it's not much ) ::) is if the sponge is exposed to air at any time then it will die :(......................... John

4. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

it was exposed to air for the trip home. about 20 minutes.

5. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

Sponges and Starfish should never come in contact with air.

6. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

ok then... since its probebly dead should i remove it or just let it be.
    The peice of LR also has some sort of polyps of some kind on it but i dont think they survived either.. never saw them open.

Thanks.

Marc.

7. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

[quote author=m_lacom99 link=board=Inverts;num=1099927513;start=0#4 date=11/08/04 at 10:01:02]ok then...   since its probebly dead should i remove it or just let it be.
    The peice of LR also has some sort of polyps of some kind on it but i dont think they survived either.. never saw them open.

Thanks.

Marc.[/quote]
    IMO that would depend on how much of it there is! as the die off will raise your ammonia level but if there is just a very small amount and your system is fairly stable I would just leave it and keep an eye on my ammonia level. But if there is a lot of it you will have to remove the rock from your tank and cure it. That is MO....................... John

8. Click Here!

9. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

The sponge is prety big, well actually its 4 different sponges on the rock all ranging from 1/2" x 2" to about 1" x 3" maybe 4" long. So prety big pieces in my opinion. The rock was cured when i bought it... i would need to cure it again???

Marc.

10. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

I would say yes (MHO) as even if a sponge is exposed to air for a very short time like Removing it from the tank and putting it directly into a bag of water for transport from the store to your home that brief air contact will kill it as air gets trapped in it's pores and it will no longer be capable of filtering water so in essence is will starve to death............ John

11. bpayh

bpayh Astrea Snail

Sponges and Starfish should never come in contact with air.

What?!
    Haven't you seen that Spongebob Squarepants episode where he goes to visit his squirrel friend who lives in a biosphere bubble at the bottom of the ocean? Yeah he got all dry and stiff, sure, but he was ok in the end! And his starfish pal was ok too!

12. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

i either have to get on drugs or have a kid, i am so out of the loop.