Will this setup be good for Macro Algae?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by NinjaBum, Jun 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NinjaBum

NinjaBum Spaghetti Worm

I currently run 2 4x54W T5 Fixtures over my 100g Tall

4x Odyssea Actinics
    4x Odyssea 12000k

and just recently purchased

4x ATI Blue Plus
    2x KZ Fiji Purple
    2x ATI Aquablue

I hate the Odyssea bulbs I have and know that my actual output will be a great improvement in terms of both intensity and PAR. I am just not sure if I have enough of the spectrum that Macros like. If needed I can swap out a blue for an extra aquablue or something.

Thanks for the help in advance:)

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I would switch out 1 KZ and 1 BP with GE 6500K if it is a heavy macro algae tank. Truthfully I would switch out 1 KZ with a GE anyway you tank is going to look purple with the 2 KZ bulbs. I think the algae could do OK with that mix. I have a purple macro that is growing just fine under 4 bulb with 2BP, 1KZ and 1AB.

1 person likes this.
  4. NinjaBum

NinjaBum Spaghetti Worm

Ok, thanks for the input. I'm kinda half and half coral and macro now but I have a couple of big shipments coming from John this week and early next week so macros will dominate. I can always use the spare KZ to replace the one I use. I'm sort of a light noob when it comes to doing all of this advanced stuff haha. So will 2 GE daylights make the tank look yellow or will the remaining blues be able to balance it out?

Also I know there is a place that everyone recommends to get light bulbs at thats a sponsor here but I don't recall what its name is. Does anyone know?