will this rock be reef safe

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by 00nothing, Oct 5, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 00nothing

00nothing Astrea Snail

went to the lfs today bought some LR and dead rock to get things started for my 50 gallon tank but on the way home i decided to stop at a local greenhouse well they have this rock there the girl that was working there only knows it as chicken rock so i figured for a couple bucks i would buy a piece and ask u guys what u thought

[​IMG]

that piece weighs inat 6 lbs so it def a bit denser than fiji but its a fairly big piece and if this stuff wil work i am gonna go with like 60 lbs of it and atleast 30 lbs of the good stuff

2. Click Here!

3. 00nothing

00nothing Astrea Snail

i think it might be sandstone the larger rocks have lots off tunnels and holes in it around here it is very commonly used in landscaping

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Well sandstone is said to be non-polluting but I've also heard concerns about mineral content. Not sure how serious that is.

I would try to get someone at the store that really knows what it is and we can go from there.

Personally if it's not fairly light and porous, I'd stay away from it anyway.

H.I. Rocks comes up from time to time as a good cheap source for base rock that is suited for the marine environment.

5. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

00nothing,

I agree with Matt :)

How much rock have you already bought? As in Live and dead rock from the lfs?

John

6. 00nothing

00nothing Astrea Snail

well of that rock i only bought the one piece but while at the lfs yesterday i bought 8 lbs of dead rock various pieces some tufa some lace and some moonstone and i also bought about 4 lbs of LR it is all sitting in the future sump with a powerhead hoping it will seed it all nicely