will this product make coraline algae grow on my rocks?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by damo86, Sep 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. damo86

damo86 Flamingo Tongue

2. Click Here!

3. defdad

defdad Fire Shrimp

Calcium is needed for coraline growth, but by itself it will not make coraline suddenly appear. If you have a new tank, don't expect it anytime soon. To get coraline to grow, the first thing you need is some coraline. Try to find a piece of live rock that has coraline on it. Again, if your tank is new, you will probably go through a bloom of other types of algae before coraline starts growing. Once you get coraline to start growing then you need to check your calcium level and dose if needed.

4. 4phish

4phish Montipora Digitata

I am realitive new at this, but I don't think calcium alone will make your coraline algae grow. Though it will def. help. I have been using Purple Up and calcium together and my CA has really taken off.

5. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

If coralline is your desire.............
    Maintain alkalinity(kh), calcium, and magnesium. Within a couple of months you should see some spots. Within 1-2 years you wish you never had it. Also, as mentioned, you can seed your tank with coralline scrapings,but, this does nothing, unless, the above 3 parameters are stable/maintained. Products like the "purple producers" contain other elements that should be tested for if dosing to your aquarium.
    A Simplified Guide to the Relationship Between Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium and pH by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

6. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Unless you have a huge demand like lots of SPS. a good salt mix like IO, Oceanic or RC wil have all you need for corraline growth with regular water changes. No additives or supplements are wanted or needed.
    If you do not know exactly what is in a supplement do not add. add only what you test for on a rugular basis and know is deficient.

7. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Coraline takes time... Like months! so don't expect it right away

8. Click Here!

9. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

my tanks on 4 months now and im jsut now noticing it on my filter. it takes time. and believe me i know those are the last three words you want to hear after getting through cycling!!

10. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I am a huge believer in time getting coralline to grow, but I have seen crazy good results with purple up and similar products in a much shorter time.

11. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

I have had no problem with my coralline growing. Tank has been up for 8 weeks and it's popping up every where by itself. No seeding and no additives was done. Guess I just got lucky. Good luck on getting your coralline growing