Will this lighting support sps corals?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by KingNeptune, Sep 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. KingNeptune

KingNeptune Plankton

I will be getting this light canopy for my 30 gallon long SW tank i would like to be able to grow sps corals this light has 2 10k daylight high output t5s and 2 20k actinic high output t5s x4 duel lunar LEDS it shoots out all together 156watts of lighting i had 1 guy tell me it would work but a second or 100th opinion is always good :) 36" Aquarium T5 HO Light 39W x4 LED Reef Fish Tank CE | eBay

P.S INSTEAD OF MAKEING A NEW THREAD I WILL ASK HERE Will well water work for water changes? i dont have regular tap water i live far out so i got a well

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yes that will work for sps.

You will have to have the well water tested for nitrates and phosphates. Even if you use a well you can still get a RO/DI unit which I strongly suggest.

I would only try easier sps like montipora and hardy inverts and fish until you see exactly how well water is going to work if you do not get a RO/DI unit.

If you have a Walmart or similar you can buy RO/DI water, it's a thirty gallon tank so water changes using bottles water should work.

4. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

There are two things that make a T5HO setup good...the bulbs and the reflectors...unfortunately that fixture is going to have issues in both areas...it does not have individual parabolic reflectors and the stock bulbs will have low PAR output as compared to "better" brands. You can address the bulb issue easy enough by replacing them with something like the ATI brand which has significantly higher PAR output. The single reflector you'll pretty much be stuck with. That said, I think if you upgrade to better bulbs, you could keep higher light animals in a 30g using that light. I would still recommend you consider looking into to a light that has individual reflectors if you're look to keep a lot of SPS.

Well water...personally I wouldn't do it. It will depend on were you live, but typically well water has a fairly high mineral content...and you can see fluctuations in what may be in the water seasonally depending on heavy rain/snow melt, etc. It's sometimes said we don't keep corals and fish, but rather we keep the water they live in...starting out with as good a water as possible is very helpful for long term results, even more so with more delicate specimens like SPS. While using tap or well water can be done and you'll undoubtedly find some who do so successfully, I think you'll find the vast majority of us who have been in the hobby for a while and are successful use RO/DI or some other type of "purified" water.

5. KingNeptune

KingNeptune Plankton

is there any way you could show me a example of a perfect light canopy and set up maybe a store i could buy online? if not basically im looking for a canopy with individual light bulb reflectors and ati brand bulbs right? and 1 other thing is i happen to live where i work and own my own business and we have 120 cases with 25 bottles of water deliverd every 2 weeks which i could easly do water changes with the only problem is it is alhambra water and it says on the bottles that is has some stuff added to make it taste better i dont now if this would affect my corals and fish or not

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Check out ATI and Tek brand lighting for the good stuff. A RODI unit is the way to go for water purification. Spectrapure is considered the best. Bulk Reef Supply has good units also.

7. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

It's hard to see, but this TEK unit has a separate reflector the wraps around each bulb:

[​IMG]

The "cheaper" fixtures just use a single piece of aluminum with a couple of bends in it above the bulbs...the difference is the individual reflectors are much more efficient at directing almost all the light down into the tank.

Here is a link to the fixture...this is just the first place I found when I Googled...there may be better/cheaper places to buy.

TEK LIGHT T-5, 36" Light Fixture 6 x 39W lamps by Sunlight Supply* - AquaCave

There are other brands available that offer the same "features"...I happen to use all TEK retro's for lights on all our tanks...I feel they offer a good product at a fairly reasonable price.

You won't find ATI bulbs installed on most fixtures out of the box. You'll likely have to buy the bulbs separately to get the "better" bulbs...if you look around you can probably buy just the light fixture without bulbs and then purchase/order bulbs separately.

On the bottled water that's not really what you want either. Basically they are taking RO filtered water and adding minerals back into it...people need the minerals that are in drinking water and most people don't like the taste (or lack of taste) of pure water either. An RO/DI filter unit is really the best long term solution.

8. Click Here!

9. KingNeptune

KingNeptune Plankton

how well do you thin kthis would do?
    36" Metal Halide T5 HO Lighting Reef Marine Coral 406W | eBay

10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Yes that would work. It may cause more heat than you would like causing you to need a chiller possibly.

11. link248

link248 Ritteri Anemone

I have that same light on my 40 gallon breeder and have no problems with corals

12. KingNeptune

KingNeptune Plankton

did you use the same bulbs it came with