Will this light work?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by JamieC77, Feb 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

It all depends on what you are trying to keep and the Tek is top of the line and any LFS who said they can't get T5 t the moment has a problem any wholesaler who would have the P/C light will have T5 . i deal with Lighting all the time as a Job and I know there is more profit in the out of date P/c I can get some really good deals on them at the wholesale level it just they want them out of the warehouse and are cutting them to the base cost . Rather then put them in a dumpster and a write off . The Tek is top of the line the new wave is by the same people just a few less bells and whistles .. One is a Cadillac other is a Buick so to speak

2. Click Here!

3. Dsilowka3

Dsilowka3 Fire Worm

Both are good companies, if i were to choose between these, id probably go with the tek. these are just two examples though, so you can see that they can be found for cheaper. id suggest taking a look around and searching for a deal at various sites. ideally i think a 60" fixture would be what you want, but i dont know if you can easily and cheaply come by that size. play your options and do some research, a deal will follow shortly. goodluck

4. JamieC77

JamieC77 Bristle Worm

ok, thanks for the help I will search around. Do you think that 4 54 watt t5's would be strong enough or do i need 6?

5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

For a 120g, I would go at least six if not eight. And please do not get PCs. As mentioned, they are junk. With lighting, you need to spend some money. You really do get what you pay for, and unfortunately, you have a big tank to deal with.

I would look at Teks, Nova Extreme Pro and ATI. The Teks and ATI come with individual reflectors with their 8x54W models while the Nova Extreme Pro only does this kind of reflector array up to a 6x54W. Now, if you are using a canopy, you can get away with a retrofit with, say, icecap ballasts that will get up to 80W out of a 54W bulb. Teks, for example, make a retrofit kit that will do. Then you could easily get away with six bulbs. You will have to have a cooling system installed in the canopy for overdriving (fans will do). If the bulbs get too hot, they become less efficient. Check out reefgeek.com or PM Roger (Tangster) for prices. Although I have heard good things about reefgeek, I have done business with Tangster and he is honest and fair. He also has a lot more experience at lighting than I do and will probably have some better suggestions in the end.

You can also look into the world of Metal Halide. I do not think you are saving any money, and with a tank that is that deep, I believe T5s are the way to go. Also, it does matter what kind of bulb you use (manufacturer). UVLs are great bulbs. So are Giessemann.

Have fun in your search....I am searching myself for a good deal along the 6x or 8x 54W route, wondering if I should try a retrofit kit myself. Look at eBay. Look at Craig's list. I found an ATI setup perfect for my tank (never used----so they say) for $550. Which is a great deal.

Peace.......John.

And it is good to see you post again.......

6. civsi44

civsi44 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I just made the switch from pc's to t5 and feel like kicking my own a** for not switching sooner. I had softies, zoas, mushrooms etc that were fine, the colors were pretty dull for what I had, when I switched to t5 the growth was noticed within two weeks and my colors are 1000 x better than before. I have 60" x 22" high and I got a 8x80 t5 setup for 529 brand new. I highly recommend the switch if you can afford it.

7. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

8. Click Here!

9. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

I have a similar light same watts and every thing off ebay for 95 bux....sellers name is HOMBBY look at their other ligths and compare prices here.

10. JamieC77

JamieC77 Bristle Worm

wow I am thinking about a light I found, it is made by current and has 6x54wt T5's. Does anyone have this light?

11. hydrojeff

hydrojeff Montipora Capricornis

that is the light i bought its great, bulbs are not the best but we have to replace them after a year anyways, i say do it!

12. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

check out buildyouraquarium.com i bought a 8 54 watt retro from them and have no complaints especially about the price.:)