Will this light setup work?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by chala, Feb 7, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chala

chala Plankton

Hi I have a 90g tank and the top is 48" across, I have the regular hood light that has a corallife 6000k bulb in it. Last night I bought two 24" light things from a buddy for $40. (The pics) and he said they were missing the ballasts? Im not sure what that is... Each 24" light can hold one 24"fluour bulb and two screw in kinds. One of the bulbs were blue,and none of them work! Where do I go to buy replacements? And is this enough light to have my hard and soft corals? The new lights 24" håve 3 power cords each and a transformer.
    So i'll have 3 hoods on top?
    Thanks for any input.
    Jennifer::)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  2. Click Here!

3. chrisANDbarb

chrisANDbarb Fire Worm

can you post a few photos of the light so i can get a better idea of what you are dealing with

4. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

Er that light looks pretty weak

HI,
    Most of the reef keepers use a stronger light sorce I have a simple system that was on sale but its only strong enough for Soft corals.
    Doug

psps Most lights are very short lived when it comes to quality of light 6-8 mos if your lucky.

5. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Jen... You will need to get the ballasts to run those metal halides. You can pick up the bulbs online fairly cheap. You know how to contact me for assistance.

6. chrisANDbarb

chrisANDbarb Fire Worm

just saw the photo, looks like one of the bulbs fried. i would replace the sockets also just to be safe