Will this kill my fish? - pumps question

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by mandarin11, Dec 11, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mandarin11

mandarin11 Peppermint Shrimp

I'm finally getting my sump and my fuge drilled so that they can be linked together. Both are on the system now (the fuge pumps into the sump, it's a huge mess, that's why it's finally getting drilled). In order to get them drilled I have to take both offline for anywhere from a few hours to two days. My tank is a 55.

My plan: I have three maxi 900's in the tank. I plan on keeping all three on full time with one pointed at the surface so that there is ample surface agitation (for gas exchange). There will be no water going through the protein skimmer, fuge, or sump since they'll be at the store getting drilled (except the skimmer of course, but it will still be off line while the sump is gone).

I think this will be fine seeing as how there are some people who run 55s with hang on back filters and that's it (not that I recommend it, I'm just saying there are people who do this). Just seeing what everyone thinks. Do you all think that a 55 with three powerheads going in it will be fine for two days max?

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Yeah, they'll be fine. You've covered all the bases. You might want to move your heater from your sump to your tank.

4. mandarin11

mandarin11 Peppermint Shrimp

thanks for mentioning the heater inwall, I hadn't thought about that

5. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Are you putting your skimmer in before or after your fuge? I would put your skimmer right before your return. Are you drilling it yourself? If you are, use heavy tape (like duct or gaffers) on the back of where you are drilling. It will prevent the hole to fall out and will catch the little shards of glass when the hole breaks through.