Will this denitrator work?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by yheartsp, May 13, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. yheartsp

yheartsp Purple Spiny Lobster

2. Click Here!

3. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I personally don't think denitrators are worth the money for what they do.

4. yheartsp

Hmmm why not? you think it's not effective at reducing nitrates? it's not that costly actually, just 200usd

5. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

nitrates are caused by too much food input or not enough nutrient export. Only two things. First you need to figure out what you problem is, but after that..... you should look into EcoBak by Warner Marine. Research what carbon dosing is then take a look at these new solid carbon sources to lower nitrates and po4. Denitrators do de nitrate, but they don fix what the problem is, and they don't reduce PO4 along with it.

6. yheartsp

I think my tank is a little overstocked. i have sufficient live rock for a tank my size, and i have a refugium and skimmer. But still not enough nutrient export i guess. i'll go read about it now ;D

7. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Overstocked is a part of the problem. Can you put a floss in the mechanical filtration area? I put a floss where the water drips from the refugium to the sump and swap it out for a new one regularly. This will help a lot. I know because I have a lot of fish like you do and they poop a lot. Feeding is the key. Never feed them more than they can consume in 3 minutes. Check the flow through the rocks where dietritus can hide. I shake up the sand with a scraper, turn it over so to speak amd run a powerhead into the rocks. When all the garbage gets picked up into the sump I will replace the floss. Check your overflows for cleaning. Try that and see if it works. And use cheato in the fuge.

8. Click Here!

9. cap23244

cap23244 Astrea Snail

i i was to buy a new denitrator i would buy a sulfer denitrator i wouldn't waste my money on anything else . research sulfer denitrator on google

10. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Don't mean to burst your bubble on the de nitrator part but I've found that they help somewhat but it doesn't solve the problem.
    As others have said, decrease your feedings.(maybe once every other day would help). BTW, are you feeding frozen foods?
    One of the best things I have ever done was install a algae scrubber. Within a month, my nitrates went from 20ppm to 0ppm and phosphates went from .50 to 0

11. yheartsp

I am already feeding less and feeding any lesser would starve my fishes! frozen food once a while, maybe 2 times a week.

oh btw !

after researching the ecobak pellets, the deniballs seem to be almost the same

''Deniballs are made from a special biologically based plastic material and are designed to provide a long-term carbon and food source for anaerobic bacteria within our Nitratereductors. In the absence of oxygen, these anaerobic bacteria metabolize the Deniball material to accelerate the reduction of nitrates into nitrogen gas''

is anyone using them??

12. yheartsp

floss - check. feeding less than 3 minutes -check. chaeto- check.

flow.. i'm getting quite alot of flow everywhere with my vortech. i'll clean the overflows the next water change ;D