Will this cycling process ever end!

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Puffer Chick, Sep 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

It's getting sooo frustrating and i've been so paitent this entire time. On Sunday my tank will turn 7 weeks old, and the cycling still isint over. I'm going through a nitrate spike right now, i just tested it a few minutes ago, and it was still high, but has gone down some. How long does it take for this spike to go back down. I'm really wanting my readings to show 0 but it feels like i'm never going to get there. It's just really agravating.

2. Click Here!

3. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

just a tip for you, some peoples nitrates never dip down to 0

4. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

hmm maybe i'm one of those people lol, i forget the reading that it read, but i tested about 3-4 days ago, it was blood red, today it was a pinkish color

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

hey, my cycle "ended" when ammonia and nitrites were 0 and my nitrates were at 40. I just stocked accordingly (CuC to start) until my nitrates hit 20. Then I started adding stuff.

It took my tank around 4 months for the nitrates to 0...

so... yeah ;)

6. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

What I've heard is that at the end of the cycle the nitrates spike and then decrease. But like Daniel072 said, sometimes nitrates never go back down to 0, or stay at 0. Although 0 is preferred, it's okay to have some nitrate in your tank; as long as it's not too high. So I would think that if the nitrate is decreasing, and then stabilizes (with your other values being 0), your cycle would be over....

7. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

WOW 4 months, there is no way i'm going to be that paitent, if i had to wait 4 months to put anything in the tank i would start losing interest and feel that i put all of this money into the tank for nothing. So i think i'll test the other readings tomorrow then. And hopefully they will be at 0, or at least close to 0

8. Click Here!

9. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

ok, at least i know i'll be able to put stuff in the tank then if the rest of the readings are at 0, the nitrates are going back down which is good, but it's taking forever

10. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I would start with my cleanup crew. Let them get started on some of the nasties and go from there. You have been very patient though and I commend that.

11. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

The only time that I would worry about my nitrates hitting zero is in an sps tank. I don't believe, correct me if I'm wrong, that you are starting out with acropora. (atleast I wouldn't to begin with) Most of your softies and lps do just fine with nitrates in the water.

12. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Yes, start with a clean up crew. They will help clean and will add some life to your tank to make sure everything's working properly. Plus, you'll have something to watch!!! Good luck!