Will this bulb combination work?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by doTheEvolution, Mar 26, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. doTheEvolution

doTheEvolution Astrea Snail

I will be purchasing a 6x54w Tek light in about a week. Trying to figure out what bulb combination to use is driving me insane... I have done some research and came up with this...

All Giesemann bulbs...

Pure Actinic
    6000k Midday
    11000k AquaBlue Plus
    11000k AquaBlue Plus
    6000k Midday
    Pure Actinic

What I hope to accomplish with this setup is get decent coral growth and a color of, roughly, 14000K. Will this setup help me accomplish that? I am open to other brands and different setups.

Thanks for all of your help!:thumb_up:

2. Click Here!

3. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

I am no expert, but ATI has been highly recommended to me. Plus they get great reviews. I was planning on doing a full Geisman setup, then I was told that the ATI's have a higher PAR rateing. Also judgeing by the bulbs you listed, your tank will be pretty light in color. You may want to diversify a little bit more to accent your colors and give your coral a fuller spectrum of light.

I would Go-
    Geisemann Pure Actinic
    UVL Aquasun 10,000k- https://diyreef.authsecure.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=55_59_86&products_id=426
    ATI Pro color- https://diyreef.authsecure.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=55_59_88&products_id=596
    ATI Aqua Blue Special- https://diyreef.authsecure.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=55_59_88&products_id=446
    Geisemann Midday
    ATI Blue Plus- https://diyreef.authsecure.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=55_59_88&products_id=449

Like I said, I don't have any experience with any of these bulbs, but they all have come highly reccomended by a number of the pro's on this site and others.

1 person likes this.
  4. doTheEvolution

That is what I was worried about. I have a cheap lighting system now, which surprisingly has served me better than I expected, and I really wanted to get more color. I have zero experience with high end bulbs and lighting systems, so I really appreciate your help. The system you recommended looks like it will put out an awesome color and fortunately ReefGeek has all of these bulbs.

Would the Geisemann True actinic, ATI true actinic and UVs Super Actinic give off the exact same color?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

The setup you listed probably won't get you near a 14,000K overall look. I would get rid of the 6000K? and use at least 10,000K. If you go with several 12,000Ks and some blues you should be ok. I run two Aqua Science 15,000K and two Aqua Science Blues, the color is great, a nice blue color, but not too much.

1 person likes this.
  6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

If its a solid 14K you want go with the UVL acinic white and the super actinic 03 blue if you want a 18 to 20 K get the 25/75's in combonation with the suoer actinics .. I have always had great sucuess using the actinic white with the super actinics . Good colorand coral growth.

1 person likes this.
  7. doTheEvolution

Thanks for all of your recommendations, based on them and a lot of research I decided to go with....

ATI Aquablue Special
    ATI Blue Plus
    UV Actinic White
    UV Super Actinic
    UV Actinic White
    Korallen Zucht Fiji Purple

I wanted to try both ATI and UV bulbs, Geisemann bulbs didn't end up in there after all. I will post pics in the T5 bulb combination thread.

Thanks again for all of your help guys!:thumbs_up