will this be too powerful?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by nc208082, Sep 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

So I am gonna swap out my t5 lights on my reef for a diy led. I have done a ton of browsing and debating but seem most happy with a fixture i make.
    my question is my tank is 24w x 13d x 13h. its an aquastyle all in one type of tank that is heavily modded.

the setup I want to use is similiar to the aqua illuminations design.
    plan is to use 5 pucks

The 7 up is 4 x XPG Cool White and 3 x XPE Royal Blue on a 40mm Dia Metal Core PCB
    The 4 up is 1 x XPE Blue and 3 x XPE Royal Blue specifically on a 25mm Dia Metal Core PCB

2 of the 7 and 3 of the four. But i am also tempted to add a few osram hyper reds and a few more just blue ones, still debating.

but thats already 26 leds and more if i add the reds an blues as well.
    26 x 3 = 78w. id use 3 or 4 dimmable drivers depending on the 4th color or not. planis also to use no optix, kind of like the vertex units, it can sit closer to the tank. With my tank depth being 13' and 3 of that is sand im worried bout blinding the tank so though no optics might be best.

Is this too much? tank is sps heavy with clams and eventually will be all sps when i get around to doin a softy tank.

Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Short answer: yes.

It's an awful lot, however, if it's all dimmable (which sounds like it is) you'll be able to run it at the (low) power you'll need. That being said, you will be spending more than you need to, but if that's not a concern, there's nothing fundamentally wrong with what you've got in mind.

4. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

I say go for it. I've seen a 40g with a 400w mh over it (loooooks awesome).

5. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

yes i know what you mean about the overkill, ive seen a refugium with a 250 mh over it.

I dont mind it being overkill, i mean in this hobby upgrading is constant o in time im sure this fixture would be added to a larger tank.

change. I spoke with the owner of the site and he said he could do any combo for me on the puck which i like
    my question is im going to do a 4 up disc with 2 xpe rb and 1 xpe blue and 1 xpg cool. Would four of these be ok. without using a quantum meter is there some kind of ratio i can use to base amount of wattage or luminous flux of the leds to see what would be sufficient. i see recommended on a few sites 20-24 for a biocube 29g which is similiar to my tank size. But for a diy, whats the best way to calculate number? aiming for an sps dominant. with a 14-15k color

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  6. pwreef

pwreef Astrea Snail

Without lenses PAR drops significantly. If you cannot find anyone who has done this and measured PAR, then its hard to say how many you will need. You could go with more right away and dim or buy a few and see what it looks like and measure PAR. This is a downside of DIY, you have to tinker with it. :) Good luck!