Will this be to much?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by fishflyer, Mar 6, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fishflyer

fishflyer Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have a 55 gal 48x13x18 tank and am currently running a Current USA Orbit fixture with 4x65w and really like the product. I have kept my anemone and a few frags to see how they far and so far they are doing well. (no real growth on the corals but about as they were at purchase) anemone has been happy for about a year but initially lost some color.

I have been looking at Outer Orbit with 2x150w 10,000k HQI and 2x130watt Actinic460/420nm and wonder will I just fry my tank?

Soon I will be upgrading a little to a 75gal AGA bow-front.

Is this to much light for a 55gal or 75gal ?

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

wow this is so Deja Vu...i was having this same problem...in the end i decided to not risk it and stick with the pcs...but if your going for a 75 i would do mh :)

4. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

I have run and still run a 4 x 65w on a 20 long. So if, you were concerned about the watts per gallon that is 13 wpg... I dont count watts per say. They are important to you because that's how your electric bill is calculated.
    What is more important is how you acclimate your corals to the light and what type of lighting you are considering.
    The 150 watt metal halides will not be too intense for a 75 gallon aquarium, they would also work on the 55 gallon. Even though it is an oddball size. I like to use one metal halide for each two foot of tank length. Then, size the bulb 150, 250, or 400 watts based on the tank depth and width.
    Then finally you have to ask yourself if you can afford the initial cost and the the long term maintenance and electric bill..

Jim

5. Adnuces

Adnuces Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I sure hope not as that is the light I have on my 75g. It is awesome and everything including my t.crocea clam are doing well.

6. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

It's fine for a 55g. I'll have 2x 400w MH, and either 440w of VHO or two more 150w DE MH.

7. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

AGA makes a 72 bowfront.
    Be careful. Several of us have leaky AGA 72 bowfronts. There is a thread around here somewhere.

8. Click Here!

9. fishflyer

fishflyer Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Blade THANKS for the leak info, I will look for the thread. I have had my eye on the AGA 75 bow with the mega flow for a while. Maybe I will rethink the new tank yet again :-/

10. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

90s have a similar 48x18 footprint. A 90 RR would be another good choice in that range with almost no price difference.

11. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

I read that anemones and brain corals sometimes lose their color and the color grows back brighter.