will this be enough

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Rawdogz, Apr 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

AAAHHHHHH here we go again. I got my DIY LEDs this weekend and I have been trying to put it together since Friday, I must have solder and unsolder then resolder at least 20x and still cannot get them all to come on . I have a predrilled heat sink with 4 V slots and 9 H slots with 72 LEDs

This is whats going on

Whites (includes Red, UV, soft, natural and blues to even it out):
    The white are not that bad I was able to get 30 out of the 36 to come on. I rewired those 6, and double check to make sure it was not touching the heat sink or the screws plus tested the led to make sure they are good and Still no luck. I also replaced the connecting wires and still nothing. I am at a lost right now on what to try next.

Blues
    At first I got about 28 to 30 of the blue to come on. As I was looking at the wiring for the ones that didn’t come on, all of a sudden all the LEDs turned off:furious3:. I unplugged it, then plugged it back in. only 12 LEDs all on one heatsink turned on and it was very faint almost as if it was not getting enough power(pot was dialed to 45%), at this point am thinking the driver is fried. So I tested that driver on the white and it worked, I connected the other driver to the blues and the same faint 12 come on. So I rewired the blues on that heatsink as well as the blues on the other heatsink and then tested it again and the same thing. I am fresh out of ideas as to what could be the issue.
    This is how I have my LEDs setup
    B W B etc... Etc... To full in the 9 H slots
    B W B
    B W B
    B W B

The driver I have is the Mean Well LPF-90D-48, the suggest connections say connect it in 3 strings of 12 parallel. Since I didn’t have it connected like that, could that be causing the issues? Also, I am starting to believe the max LEDs supported for this driver is 30 LEDs. Any idea anyone?
    :angry::devil: