Will this be enough lighting?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Caverndiver, Jul 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

be sure you are feeding. It will help

2. Click Here!

3. scubba.steve

scubba.steve Coral Banded Shrimp

Judging by what you have stated. your tank is 60 gallons correct?
    And you have 2 96w coralife bulbs
    That in note your putting out 3.2 watts per gallon.
    I wouldnt recommend putting anything other than softies in your system at first and see how they thrive.
    Im only running 4.5 watts per gallon and i have a few sps thriving nicely

4. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

which sps do you have in there scuba steve and how long have you had them.

5. scubba.steve

scubba.steve Coral Banded Shrimp

Ive got Monti in mine now, halfway up in my system, had for 2weeks, another ear has already grown on it

6. Caverndiver

Caverndiver Plankton

I am going to go with the lighting I mentioned at the start. I think I will be able to ad more light down the road, $ is a factor right now. I will do more reading on corals and lighting needs before adding any. I think its would be wrong adding corals just to see what would happen.

Does anyone have a link to a "lighting for Dummies"

7. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

There are several resources online about current lighting options. Just search google for reef lighting. Your power compacts will be fine for now. Don't expect to keep clams too happy with them though. After 5-6 months you have to replace the bulbs otherwise you will piss your corals off. Power Compacts are good starter fixtures. I would look at selling your po0wer compacts down the road and getting some T5s. Check local reef clubs and craigslist for good deals. They seem like they are going down in price rapidly. But the power compacts will hold you over. We have all seen some amazing reefs in the past lit by power compacts, its just not the preferred and on paper, T5s are winning!

As for brian0420--your def gonna have to replace your fixture soon. I cannot see your anemone being very happy with your current setup for too much longer. Just because you can keep it alive with the bulbs you have does by no means mean the anems happy. I can grow mushrooms like crazy in my sump with a 26w screw-in.

8. Click Here!

9. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

I don't even have 4 WPG on my tank and have SPS to just about the sand bed (24").