Will this be enough light?

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by GAZBO, Feb 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

2. Click Here!

3. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

What Animals are you wanting to keep? Softies, LPS, SPS?

4. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

A little of everything I dont want to be restricted on the the corals I can have because I dont have enough light but maybe the ones that need more light can be close to the top. what you think?

5. liverup

liverup Plankton

What are the tank dimensions? If its less than 20" deep you should be OK to put spa in the top half and lower light lps softies down deeper.

6. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

its 72X18X28

7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

My biggest concern is the heat issue with having that unit on an in-wall tank. Unless it's going to be exposed on the front and back, the hood fans are going to vent the heat into the enclosed space around the tank which won't help much with water temp.

You're also looking at roughly $100 every 6 months just in PC bulb replacement alone, plus 834 watts per hour just in lighting! You'd do much better with a 6-bulb T5HO, or better still, LED. There are a few here that swear by their AI SOL modules as well as RapidLED and BoostLED DIY kits for SPS growth in larger tanks. With the lower heat, lower wattage and lack of bulb replacement, it would be your best option.

8. Click Here!

9. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

The back of the tank is open in a storage room and nothing above it so hopefully heat wont be an issue

10. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I think you might be looking to replace it once you experience the cost of operation as it is older, less economical technology. However, it's still a reef fixture so it will definitely grow corals. :)

11. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

well where I live I am lucky enough to have really cheap power everthing runs on electricity in this area we dont use gas anything I got the Columbia River with two major dams within 15 miles of each other.

as for the bulb replacement that may be another subject is this right that I will have to replace my lights about every 6 months or can I stretch that out.

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

That will work if you keep your animals in the appropriate location by their light needs.