Will the algea grow on live rock in a cycling tank?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Kevin_E, Apr 30, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Will the algea grow on live rock in a cycling tank?

I am doing the same thing as the original poster is doing.....adding live rock slowly.

I have about 7 pounds in there right now and I was told by a local fish store to add a few shell fish to help with the cycling.

I added a green emerald crab today.

The reason I ask is because he will need to to eat the algea off of the rock and if it stops growing (lots of it on there now) he will run out of food.

I keep the light on for several hours a day, so that should help the growth.

I really need him to eat alot and molt because he is missing two claws and a leg (but I still saw him eating).

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hi Fsukem

A - yes algae will grow on live rock, if you have the lights on
    B - which original poster, yours is the 1st post in this thread
    C - are you adding live rock slowly for financial reasons? if not, why not add it all at once and get the cycle over and done with rather than spread out over several weeks. months
    D - stop worrying about your crab, dont let this one crab become your focus or you will lose sight of the whole project ( Li Xiao Long - Bruce lee quote)

Steve

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

posted this in an older thread that was previously started prior to starting my own....more posts quicker responces ;-)

Yes, I am adding the live rock in slowly due to financial reasons. I wouldn't be worried about the crab if it weren't for his lack of appendages haha.

I have the lights on rougly 8 hours a day....that should suffice?

5. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

8 hours per day will be OK IMHO
    just bear in mind algae can get out of hand if you dont control your nutrients Phospahtes and Nitrates - so carefull with the feedings

Steve