will snail poop raise nitrates?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Sadie, Feb 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

at the bottom of your sand bed you may have pockets of anaerobic bacteria. This is the bacteria that changes your nitrates to harmless nitrogen gas.

If you disturb that, it can cause very nasty parameters swings as Oxygen is introduced.

There is also the material that is trapped and being slowly taken care of by bacteria, bristleworms, etc. By stirring up the sand, you reintroduce this into your water column.

Now, if you stir your sand regularly this isn't so likely. But if you don't, then the odds increase.

That's why I never stir mine up.

2. Click Here!

3. Sadie

Sadie Coral Banded Shrimp

You don't want to do too much to the sand bed. I usually don't vacuum the bed itself unless there are things settled on top (like huge snail poop). I have sand sifting snails to clean the sand bed.

4. starfish2217

starfish2217 Horrid Stonefish

oh myyyyyyyyy I always sift away through my sand bed! a lot of CRAP comes out. I dont have a very DSB at allllll.. but still! I didn't know that I'll leave it alone from now on

5. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

If you do it routinely that is fine. But if you stop for a while then don't start turning it over again after that.

6. starfish2217

hmmmm. I don't do it THAT often but I like to clean it out a bit

7. TMWTim

TMWTim Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

In my 14gBC i'll stir up the very top of the sand bed once a week if not more. I do this because I don't have any sand sifters and it is really easy....I can do it sitting down.

You might consider getting some water movement back there where the 'poop' is building up.

8. Click Here!

9. starfish2217

how do I get the right amount of flow in the right places..

10. TMWTim

TMWTim Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I wouldn't worry about it a whole lot. It is just a build-up of 'poop' in one spot indicates poor water movement in that area. Snail 'poop' is very light and stays on top of the sand bed until it is broken down. Normally you don't want to see a build-up on the sand bed as it is usually blown around starting the break-down process. Adjusting the direction of the powerheads/return will solve the problem. Even if you can get the poop to settle in a area that is easily accessed for removal would be better.

It isn't really a big deal...just a tell tale sign of an area in the tank that could use a little more movement.

11. Sadie

Sadie Coral Banded Shrimp

I turned off the power head for a bit, I forget why I did, but I recently turned it back on and everything is gone.

That snail is still going to town on the back wall. It's almost all gone;D