will RO/DI push through 80ft of tube?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by chappy85, Jun 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chappy85

chappy85 Coral Banded Shrimp

well thats kind of reassuring, thanks! :)

2. Click Here!

3. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I haven't heard anyone say anything about a booster pump. My lines run about 30'. My psi in my house is about 25. I believe the combination of low pressure and long run of tubing, the booster pump was needed. I believe spectrapure recommend running at 60 psi. The booster pump allowed that to happen.

4. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

I had a flow restrictor that looked like a canister & changed it to that spagetti version for better performance, but is was not as long as you stated.. Mine is about 4 or so inches... Should I be concern?

5. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

The capillary tubs starts out longer and you trim it off according to your conditions.

If its just for an initial fill its probably OK. Since you are doing this though you may find you want an autotopoff one day and this arrangement may become permanent.

You don't need flow meter, you measure the flow with a measuring cup and time it with a wristwatch.

1 person likes this.
  6. chappy85

chappy85 Coral Banded Shrimp

i dont know why i didnt think of measuring flow your way AZ, its simple genius.

just reporting back that running through the extra line has gone quite well.
    i used 1/4" tube as it was already ordered, probably ended up being about 60' tho.
    hooked it up and turned it on, then ran upstairs to put the other end back in the tank. had plenty of time to do that, but water did start coming through alot sooner than i expected. pretty sure i have a 75gpd membrane and after almost 24hrs my 90 gal is probably 3/4 full, maybe slightly more. the two gauges on the ro/di also appear to be running roughly the same pressure as usual and my tds is still reading 000.

oh and i'm not worried about it becoming a permanent fixture just yet. its only a small tube, but running through the window, across the dining room sitting on the table, its not a popular little tube lol.

thanks for everyones advice!

7. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I wonder why ;D Glad it's working, much better than buckets, for sure :thumb_up:

8. Click Here!

9. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

is a booster pump an option for ya?