Will raising mag. work for this type?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by trent51593, Jan 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. trent51593

trent51593 Coral Banded Shrimp

Ok i have heard of people saying to raise your mag. to rid of bryopsis. But i have heard for some types it works and others it dont?? Well here are 2 pics. that i have and was woundering if anyone could tell me if raising my mag. would kill this stuff. If not im going to nuke the tank. Please help im ready to give up and quit this hobby :cry:

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Yup, Should work. Be make sure you control the raising and maintain the elevated level for about a week. I've never done it myself. So I'll try and get a friend to jump in here.

I'll e-mail him this thread and see if he adds his experience

J

4. trent51593

Sweet lol thanks a lot. It should probably take more than a week though right and how high should i raise it, iv heard 1600+ ????

5. jkhchris

jkhchris Astrea Snail

I did it on my old tank. You want to raise your magnesium slowly over 1500ppm somewhere around 1550ppm to 1600ppm. You want to keep it raised for over two months. The bryopsis will slowly disapate in time. It is a slow fix but should work. I think my tank took about three months to get rid of all bryopsis.

Hope this helps, Chris

6. trent51593

D**n thats a long time. Did you pull out what you could by hand while you were doing this??

7. jkhchris

jkhchris Astrea Snail

Yes It does but you do end up spreading the bryopsis more. It spreads like spores when you rip it out. Not sure if spores is the right word here but it does spread. If you can remove some of the rocks out of the tank to remove the algae in a seperate bucket of salt water. Rinse them in salt water before you put the rocks back in.

Chris

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. trent51593

Ok spores is right. Yea that makes sense, some of the rocks i may not be able to do that with but most yes im sure i can try. Thanks for the info.

10. jkhchris

jkhchris Astrea Snail

No problem I hope that helps.

Chris

11. 1st time

1st time Purple Spiny Lobster

I pulled out the algae by hand, on each pinch I cleaned my hand to make sure I didn't introduce any pieces back into the tank. The shorer the algae is the less food it can get as all the debris that are in their strands they use for food. I also used Kent teck M and lowered the time of light. It all died but it did take a couple of months.

12. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Hi trent, say are you using a Phosphate reactor? Do you have Coral? Post a little More info like; your feeding habits (how much, how often) and lighting (what type and how long they are on and how old are they). Do you have a protein skimmer? What type of filtration are you using (sump, canister, hang on back etc.) How many fish? What size tank?
    As you can see, there is no simple answer to a more complicated problem.