will old rock release nitrates

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by cdc, Nov 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cdc

cdc Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have been battling high nitrates for about 2 months now reading show 100+ on my api test kit, my lfs has also tested it for me with there salifert test and it show very high. I have changed over 100g of water (my tank is 90g) and it still shows over 100. I have recently added a fuge with cheto to try and help.

My LFS told me it maybe my rock releasing nitrates back into the tank.

2. Click Here!

3. Shackman23

Shackman23 Teardrop Maxima Clam

Yea i had this problem when i first set my tank up as well, if you can, i suggest taking the rocks out on water change day and swooshing them in the old water, it helped me ALOT, when i set my tank back up after a move i went with dry rock, and havent had a prob since, also you'll be shocked on how brown your water gets if its your rock actually leaching it out!

4. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

doubt that much from rock.....test your water source for changes and check expiration on test kit

5. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

have you tested the water your putting in the tank? I had to switch to a different tap in our house case one came out at 5ppm and one was 0 strangely lol

6. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

I have never heard of rock releasing nitrates. I feel like we need some more info...

How old is the rock?

Do you use RO/DI?
    if so have you checked the TDS?
    Have you tested the water you are using for water changes?

What size tank?

How old is the tank?

Do you have a sump
    if so what is in the sump?

How many fish do you have?

Do you have a sandbed?
    If so is it a deep or shallow sandbed ?
    How old is it?
    Do you have snails and/or other things to stir it?

What other types of filtration do you use?

The more info you provide the more we can help!

7. cdc

I tested the new water I put into the tank with the same test kit and it shows 0 nitrates. My test kit is dated September 2011. My lfs also tested the water for me with there salifert test and it showed very high.

8. Click Here!

9. Shackman23

Another thing to ask are you running bio-balls at all? i had a similar thread on this awhile back that i can dig up if need be, it had some pretty good info in it that helped me out pretty good.

10. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

also on another note although nitrates are that high it wont have much affect on your stuff in tank....fish dont start being affected until like 500ppm but corals definitely wont color up right with all that nitrate

11. Shackman23

http://www.3reef.com/forums/water-chemistry/high-nitrates-104924.html

Read through all this i know its kind of long but it had alot of good advice in it that helped me out,
    Rock can release trates IF it was purchased from an established set up and you had die off, in my case i had alot of swings on my old set up that killed alot of the creatures and contributed to my problem.

12. cdc

See above