Will Neodymium harm your aquarium (rare earth magnets)

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by LoJack, Apr 29, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. LoJack

LoJack Sea Dragon

Hey guys,

I had an idea to use a 1/4" mesh screen like the one from Bulk Reef Supply for aquarium covers, to block fish from going into the overflow.
    My plan was to hold it in place using magnets.

I can't seem to find coated rare earth magnets online. I was hoping to find some type of rubber, or silicone coated so I had nothing to worry about.

Everything I find is just a stand Neodymium rare earth magnet ... Will this harm your aquarium? Or does anyone know of a solution so that I can still use them.

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

You don't want to use rare-earth magnets in saltwater. They will rust faster than pretty much anything. (No big deal right.....GFO is pretty much just rust). Unfortunately, rare earth magnets that rust aren't going to just be releasing Iron....there's all sorts of nasties in them. In fact, if you try and cut them with a blade or snap them apart, they are hazardous to your health.

I'm going to be experimenting with 2 things. I haven't done it yet but I'll make sure to let you know what happens. I've already researched Epoxy Casting Resin. Once it hardens, it's 100% inert. The other thing I'm going to research is Plastidip (used to put rubber on plier handles, screwdrivers, etc). I'm less confident in this one as rubber is a by-product of petro-chemical processes....however, I'm going to get some and google all of the ingredients.

There is a company that sells a 4-coated magnet. First they cover it with Nickel, then Copper, then more Nickel, then Epoxy. They are called Applied Magnets. In spite of the multiple layers, I'm still a little leary of the word Copper. LOL I have done a lot of magnet research lately and this appears to the direction I'm heading but the magnets that are actually going to be in the water are still going to be encased somehow.

I have a number of magnetic frag racks. These are the reason for my research into this subject. The magnets were put in a clear plastic cup and a clear plastic lid was glued on. Unfortunately, the glue was [EDIT: WASN'T] 100% done and water somehow got in there. I saw some rust in there which didn't bother me all that much. It was orange and looked just like rust you see every day. HOWEVER, there was also a green streak in there. When you see green oxidation, what mineral comes to mind????? Yup, COPPER.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  4. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Plasti-dip will work. I've had it in sw stuff for years. I've used the casting resin as well.

1 person likes this.
  5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Thank you greatly!!! K your way!

6. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

I dug back through an old forum and found the resin I used. It was "Freeman Hobby Cast 110 polyurethane Casting Resin". I contacted the company before I used it and got the ok.

I was incasing a magnet to hold up a clam shell feeding dish for seahorses.

(and check your PMs) :)

This is where I bought all my magnets from. http://www.kjmagnetics.com

7. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid