Will My Sponge Bleach?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Astrick117, Jan 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Hey Everyone,

I am looking to get a red ridge sponge this weekend for my 46 gallon bowfront and have been reading up about them. Here are the key points I have found so far:

• EXPOSURE TO AIR = VERY BAD
    • Medium to High Flow
    • Filter Feeders- Phytoplankton
    • Lower Lighting is key to prevent bleaching
    My question is whether or not a dual 36" t5's (10,000K and 460nm actinic) will bleach it? I plan to place it in the lower 1/2 of my tank, but I don't really have any "shaded areas".

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Hmmm... never kept any sponges (other than hitch hikers), but that's still a new one to me. Sponges have no zooxanthellae and therefore are not photosynthetic. OTOH, bleaching is the expellation of zooxanthellae due to hyperactivity by the algae cells caused mainly by excess heat, secondly by excess light. I'm interested myself in what others think on this one.

4. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

I read a few posts/ articles that talked about "bleaching", but to your point, I'm pretty sure they were just talking about the fact that certain parts of the sponge started to die off and turn white because of too much light.

I know they are strictly filter feeders and certainly don't need light, as most are found in deeper waters. BUT, because they live in deeper waters most people have said that you need to put them in a shaded part of the tank. The problem is that most references are to MH's though and I know my t5's aren't putting out as much as an MH.

5. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

No, some sponges harbor zooxanthellae and are therefore photosynthetic and can bleach. What type of sponge are you referring to?

6. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Red Ridge Sponge for now, but also thought about trying to get a orange tree and blue sponge after a few months, if successful with the first. I love the vibrant colors they have...

7. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Of the blue sponges, the most popular species in the trade is Haliclona. It is photosynthetic and should be treated like most SPS coral. (High light and high flow). Mine grows amazing under MH lighting.

If an orange tree sponge "bleaches", it means that someone at the LFS you bought it from exposed it to air when they received it, when they sold it to you, or you exposed it to air. They need regular feedings of phytoplankton. I've grown them under PC, MH, T5, and hardly any light at all.

1 person likes this.
  10. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Thank you. For the phytoplankton, how often do you feed?

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Every other day on average. The day before a water change (and I do large ones, not 10% changes) they get fed a little heavier.

1 person likes this.
  12. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Sorry, missed this... Some think carbon dosing, such as vodka or vinegar dosing may help, as it drives bacterioplankton. Also, dosing silica may help. I do both and my sponge population has been going very strong for a long time. These are more advanced methods though. What Inwall75 said, is probably a good start. Also, note, they don't tend to like big changes in flow patterns. Sometimes this alone is enough to kill a sponge IME.

1 person likes this.