Will my rock die???

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by freshtosalt, Nov 29, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. freshtosalt

freshtosalt Astrea Snail

I just set up my new 65 gallon salt tank a week ago. I got the water and temp just right, then added 40 lbs of the most beautiful live rock I have ever seen for sale. This stuff has polyps, corals, feather dusters, clams, etc, etc, etc... and the color is DEEP PURPLE!!! It is gorgeous stuff...

I did checks on the Ph, Ammonia, Nitrate, and Nitrite(both low and High range) and everything is perfect... For now.

The guy at my local pet shop told me that everything was going to die because the tank has not matured yet. Is this true, or is he just mad that I got the rock from someone else???

Also, should I start "feeding" my live rock and all of it's critters before the tank "cycles"??? I don't want to lose any of this rock.

2. Click Here!

3. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

If it was in good shape and not in the process dying off because it was out of the water for too long and you maintain water quality then you can tell your guy at the LFS to go pound sand. Wait a week and make sure your water quality (Ammonia) doesn't go sky high (keep up with your water changes if necessary) if it stays below 2 ppm ammonia then you are experiencing very little die off...then you can start slowly feeding your critters.

4. Diver_1298

BTW welcome to 3reef!! Karma to you. Where did you get your liverock from?
    Look at my pictures of the 90 gallon. It was only setup for 7 days and I put in my liverock. I've only lost one sponge so far after 3 weeks...
    J

5. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

[quote author=freshtosalt link=board=Newbie;num=1101754135;start=0#0 date=11/29/04 at 10:48:55]The guy at my local pet shop told me that everything was going to die because the tank has not matured yet. Is this true, or is he just mad that I got the rock from someone else???

[/quote]

Probably not mad just irritated he didnt make the sale. That is not true though, If your LR was cured and shiped properly most stuff should live, sponges,tunicates,clams,and other finicky critters usually start to die off before they hit the store, and belive me if your rock is all dying you would be able to tell without even looking! I have to pick the large sponge chunks off of the LR at work when we get shipment, otherwise it can literally be smelled from outside depending on the wheather and the way it was shipped. I would say its okay to give the tank alittle DT's or another live tyop of plankton, but in minimal amounts as not to disrupt your tanks cycle (3 weeks- 1 month minimum regaurdless of test results).

6. freshtosalt

freshtosalt Astrea Snail

What are DT's? Should I start adding any supplements like "kalkwasser" or iodine or anything now??? I have checked the levels, ammonia etc... for 3 days now and everything is still normal. Someone else told me that my ammonia might spike... How long does it usually take to spike?

When I set up the tank I put in the saltwater alone and let it cycle through the filter for app. 24-36 hrs. I then added 15 lbs. of crushed coral and 40-50 lbs of live sand. I let that cycle through the filter for app. 36-48 hrs. I then added the live rock and the 3 clams the guy gave me...

I am completely ignorant to this hobby, had fresh water before, and I need all the help I can get...

7. OoNickoC

DT's is a product that is made of LIVE phytoplankton (tiny critters that help form the basis of the food chain in the ocean) and are eaten by most filter feeders and tiny critters. If you fully understand how to use kalkwasser, then try it. I wouldnt add to much of anything besides 1/2 or even 1/4 doses (according to manufacturer directions) until 3 weeks-1 month has passed. Best thing to do is add a little calcium and DONT DO ANYHING FOR AT LEAST 3 WEEKS...no crabs, starfish,or hands should go into the tank. It is hard to exercise selfcontrol but belive me (and many others here) that your patience will reward you in this hobby. I'ld add some hermits, a brittle star, and some snails @ the 3-4 week mark....wait a week or two...then add a fish, another week or 2...then another ect. Dont buy into the "get cheap fish to help kick start the cycle" bit, it's tortureous and a waste of fish as it simply disrupts the cycle. Im not saying if you follow my guidlines that nothing will go wrong, but you will have saved money, headaches, and the lives of innocent sea creatures from a needless death. Hopefully a few others pipe in here to give you third and even fourth opinons. As the 3reef "mantra" states..."TAKE IT SLOW AND LET IT GROW", patience, combined with serious study and forethought are some of the most valuble attributes in this hobby.....and being a 3reef member....and a nice expendeture ;D

8. Click Here!

9. freshtosalt

freshtosalt Astrea Snail

I bought a Reef Starter Kit from Kent Marine today with iodine, strontium/molybdenum, and liquid calcium. Also got phytoplankton suspension.

I should only dose about 1/2 - 1/4 the recommended dose?

Some of the Purple color is fading away. Normal? Will it come back by using the supps?

10. OoNickoC

depends on how badly its fadig, if you have strong lighting and use the supplements (in smaller amounts) it should return.

11. Diver_1298

Nice advice, I don't think I could have said it better.
    Imgreen. (I Agree) As far as supplements go, talk to birdlady or anyone else who has a kalk drip setup. It precipitates phosphates and adds calcium for that nice corraline growth and coral health.
    Jim

12. freshtosalt

freshtosalt Astrea Snail

Now something new is in the mix... I was looking under one of the rocks and I saw a pair of eyes looking back at me. I could not see any body, but it snuck back under the rock and a short while later I saw it under another rock...

I have heard some "tapping" noises coming from my tank ever since I saw the eyes... Is this a Mantis Shrimp?

How do I get rid of it if it is??? I moved every rock in the tank and could not see it. I'm guessing it is "IN" one of the rocks...

Please help!!!