Will my MH's work on a bigger tank.

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by DaDaAtlanta, Jan 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DaDaAtlanta

DaDaAtlanta Feather Star

I currently run 2 175watt Metal Halide Moguls w/ 12k reefulx bulbs 8 inches over my 55 gallon. Question is, if I was to upgrade to a 90 gallon tank. Would these lights be sufficient if centered over each side accordingly?

2. Click Here!

3. Tbstr3

Tbstr3 Skunk Shrimp

i would go to 2 250w at least or you may be able to get away with buying one more of what you got and run 3 so you have good lighting all around but it depends on dimensions also

4. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

I am no expert but I think, yes. The 90 is just wider than the 55 gal. correct? The lights should be o.k. you may have to lower them or raise them to get the par you want.

5. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

..actually the 90 is deeper in height and depth..same width 48" : )...just bought one, though some have a different footprint..48wX18dX24h is the common....So either up the wattage and or quantity...or go to six T5s like I did.. : ) ...but it depends a little on what ya got for livestock....JMO
    LG

..looking at your current lights....those are going to work....just regulate corals as to depth and light requirements...move lights lower...but then a fan is needed...Are those lights efficient? they look like energy hogs. Since going T5 I don't even see an energy issue on my Electric bill any more. : )
    Good luck...gotta love do'n upgrades !! : )

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  6. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

what kind of coral do you want to keep

you could get like a 225 a put it in the middle of the 2 that you have now it all depends on the kinda coral you want.

7. DaDaAtlanta

DaDaAtlanta Feather Star

Thanks everyone, I think I'll try it out. The lights are pretty strong and I'm not keeping any sps other than some monti caps. Mostly softies and no clams so I'll give it a shot. I will adjust the height and center them accordingly and add fans if needed but at 8 inches w/ 55 g of water I dont have any issues with overheating.

8. Click Here!

9. StrainedSky

StrainedSky Spaghetti Worm

I think you'll be fine with just LPS