Will my CUC eat the plants growing from my rock?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Puffer Chick, Nov 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

I had posted about this a while ago, but nobody was ever able to figure out what they were. I've had these since day one, the start from roots then the stem, then one leaf then a second. The leafs are tear shaped, as the center coming from the stem is big then narrows down to a point. I don't have any pics of a full grown one right now as i lightly scrubbed my rocks friday but new ones are starting to grow. These things have been popping up all over, never get big, easy to nock them down, but their roots are still there.

They haven't been a problem, but not sure if they will if they will bother corals.

So do you think the CUC will try to eat them, or should i just leave them in there for natural filteration.

If this isin't the right place for this thread it can be moved, wasn't to sure where to put it :D

Also looking through the macroalgae list on reefcleaners, the closest thing that i could come to is the red macro because that's how the leaves are shaped but much much much smaller. So i don't think it's that. Or maybe even a little like Caulerpa Prolifera, looks like it has to leafs, but mines on a much smaller scale

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

4. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

My snails eat anything plant matter that gets in my tank. Have you tried weed killer?;)

5. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

lol my snails like to huddle in one corner on the glass in the top of the tank so they will do no good. haha lol and no i havent tried weed killer

6. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Mine do that most of the day too. They don't seem to like being under the halides but still come down at night to clean up. Someone needs to make a small fish that's good for this problem. Pygmy rabbit fish would fit the bill well.

7. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

haha yea lol and i only have 2 bulbs turned on my lights and their T5's, i think my snails would fry under metal halides. lol they really do need a small fish to eat this stuff, lol my clowns eat at some hair algae, but they don't eat enough :lol:

8. Click Here!

9. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

You should switch to black text. Pink text on white background is too hard to read and hurts my eyes. :p

Snails and hermits are unlikely to mess with the plants. Not sure about the urchin, most likely to eat them is your emerald crab, I'd say.

A pygmy rabbit fish would certainly fit the bill haha. If it were anything like my gold-spotted anyway... he eats everything plant, algae, coral, dead snail, worms etc.

10. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

agreed with black text... lol
    i think your urchin should do the job.

11. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

ah come on, nobody likes the pink text :bouncylau

12. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i hope so, i've noticed some of the stuff on his back :D