Will more LR decrease Cyano???

Discussion in 'Algae' started by bama, Dec 9, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bama

bama Humpback Whale

I am about to go out of town for 3 weeks.. Im actually a little terrified, as Im leaving my pride and joy to a girl I know very well. I have written out a manuscript basically and walked her through all the procedures.

I have been getting a little cyano here and there and changed my flow patterns a little hopefully alleviate my problems.

Will adding extra "cured" LR to my sump maybe help alleviate any nuisance algae while I am away?

I have already turned back my lighting to actinics for 8hrs and Daylights to 6, so this should help.

2. Click Here!

3. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

Not really sure if this is the answer that you are looking for, but I would be hesitant to add ANYTHING NEW to my tank prior to me leaving it.

Also, another good idea is to make sure your friend can log on here to ask any questions if somthing comes up....

4. bama

bama Humpback Whale

Trust me, I have it on my list.. with name and password, so if you see questions, please help her out guys..

5. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

LOL! We will be glad to help her if we can. I am not sure if I would be able to leave my tank for 3 weeks....one week for vacation was hard enough...

6. zjpeter

zjpeter Ritteri Anemone

my first instinct would be to say yes. cyano is a bacteria and thusly if you introduce cured LR (ie source of good bacteria) it will compete with the cyano. i suppose it would be likened to people who dose bacteria while dosing vodka. they hope the good will outcompete the bad.

7. bama

bama Humpback Whale

yeah, Im definitly stressing about it.. Im going to make it worth her while though.. And plus when I get back I will see all sorts of CRAZY growth..

8. Click Here!

9. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

good luck bro i left on a cruise one time and came back to a emtpy top off and cyano every where other than that every thing was fine and oit was a 7 day cruise so

10. bama

bama Humpback Whale

I walked her through the top off procedure and made her a step by step checklist..

11. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

That anaerobic bacteria will compete with the algae. I would say no, just make sure she doesn't feed too much or add anything else that isn't necessary or that will result in organics.

12. zjpeter

zjpeter Ritteri Anemone

can anaerobic bacterial exist within LR? i thought it could but again i'm just going on hunches here. heck, why not slap together a DIY denitrator coil with airline tube and pvc?