will it ever cycle?!

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by TyBaseball, Jan 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TyBaseball

TyBaseball Plankton

I have had my tank up and running for 26 days now(size 14 biocube), every time i have checked the water it has been perfect.. I have cured like rock/live sand and saltwater that i bought premixed at my LFS. two weeks ago i was bored of looking at an empty tank so i got two hermit crabs and last week i bought a cheap damsel. the fish and crabs are doing great and the water is still perfect. so will my tank ever spike or could i add a clownfish yet? i am not doing coral quite yet so would a clownfish be fine if my tank was still to spike like in a week or two? i hope that made sense and thank you

2. Click Here!

3. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

Had any algae blooms yet?

4. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

It may have cycled already and you missed it. Sometimes the spikes are so small and quick we don't see them.

As mentioned above, have you had any algae blooms yet?

5. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

If every thing was already cured and there was not a lot of time for die off during transport..there is a good chance your cycle was so small you didn't realize it ever happened. I just set up a 10 gallon using everything cured and it was ready to go in less than a week. I saw an ammonia spike on the 3rd day to .25 ppm and it was gone the next day. With that said, I would wait about 2 weeks before adding another fish. Just because you're reading all zero's doesn't mean your tank is ready for more bioload. Let the bacteria get used to having the damsel in there. Then in a couple of weeks you can add one more fish and so on.

Ivan

6. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

which tests have you done?
    the 3 you are looking at for now should be ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.... they should spike in that order
    It is possible that your cured live rock can already handle the current bioload in which case you could probably add a single clown.
    personally I would wait another week to be sure and then start adding 1 fish at a time and then wait a week before adding the next.

7. TyBaseball

TyBaseball Plankton

algae blooms? I have had some dark algae on the glass but thats all, and yes ive been testing the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate... thanks guys i will just wait another week or two to be safe

8. Click Here!

9. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

When you're cycle is about to end, there is usually a diatom bloom (brown) that covers everything! All over the sand, rocks, etc. and then it dies on it's own in a couple weeks or so.

10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

you got good feedback. I'll chime in and say I agree with these folks