Will hermit crabs eat Kenya tree?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Seguragr, Mar 22, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seguragr

Seguragr Astrea Snail

I had a small Kenya tree frag in my tank and it kept getting knocked loose. Two days ago I stuffed it into a small shell and stuck it on the sand. About five minutes later there was a hermit climbing all over it and picking at it. I moved the crab and yesterday glued it to a rock so that it would stay in place. This morning it was gone and I found a hermit picking at the rock it was on.

I'm not sure if it just came loose and got blown somewhere I haven't found it yet, or if a hermit ate it. Is it possible? Do hermits eat Kenya tree?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

When you stuff a coral in a shell, that is a cry for hermit shenanigans.

I suppose anything is possible with hermits but my money is on " came loose and got blown somewhere".

2 people like this.
  4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I have never heard of a hermit eating a Kenya Tree.They do however enjoy cleaning any dead matter off the bases. I do know that if you haven't used a toothpick or other form of attachment that they will usually not stay were you wedge them.(I have tried this method of wedging them in crevices with little success) I am sure you will eventually see the tree somewhere in your tank provided it hasn't been swept into an overflow. In the future the best method that worked for me is to take two small pieces of rubble and pinch the tree in between before superglueing the rocks together. Using toothpicks(plastic) or rubber bands can work as well.

5. Seguragr

Seguragr Astrea Snail

ok. if i find it I will try the rubber band method. LOL @ Corailline, I didn't think the hermit would notice because I buried the shell and just left the kenya tree sticking out of the sand.

6. scadsobees

scadsobees Fire Shrimp

If it is true, you could probably make a fortune from breeding/selling kenya-tree eating hermits!!!;D