Will hard coral tissue grow back?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Kevin_E, Mar 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I had a silent killer in my tank...phosphates. It caused an overwelming algae problem (red slime and green air). It was apparently in my tap water. I am now using RO water to keep this situation from reoccuring. All of my parameters are darn near perfect now.

My question is this...I had a frag of hard coral that was a vibrant green color....I want to say it was a form of brain coral. It ended up losing all of its tissue/green algea and became covered with green hair algea and purple coraline.

Well it appears to be gaining some of its green specks back and losing some of its coraline.

Is it possible for the tissue and algea to reapear like this or is this just another green algea?

THANKS!

2. Click Here!

3. patrick824

patrick824 Montipora Digitata

what kind of coral was it exactly. if it is a white skeleton covered in algae, there is not too much hope for it, but if it is just bleached, try lowering it from the light source.

4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

If there were some areas of flesh left, then it's possible, but if it was all dead, most likely not. It's probably just some type of algae growing on the skeleton.

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I wish I knew what kind it was. It is, from what I can tell, just skeleton covered by algea and coraline. I guess it must be another algea. Oh well.

Thanks.

6. wfb2270

wfb2270 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

i have heard of brain corals "coming back to life" and have also heard never to remove one if it does die just for that reason. not trying to give you false hope. but is is possible. please come back and update what happens im gonna subscribe. curious to see what happens

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Definately will. Hopefully I can get a few pics too.

8. Click Here!

9. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

pics are the only way to confirm this :p

10. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Algae is a big problem with favid brain corals from what I understand, as they commonly out-compete the brains in tanks.