Will Fishing Weights Harm my Tank?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by beamer, Sep 15, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

I have an open brain that is not doing well at all. I've been trying to feed it by placing a container over it so that the fish don't eat it the food before the brain has a chance to. Anyway, the container keeps floating up. My arms aren't long enough to hold the container down and there is not enough sand there to push the container down into.

I thought if I tied a few fishing weights on it that would take care of it.

Would it be ok to use fishing weights or is there something about it that could harm the tank?

Thanks, Cindy

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Cindy,

If they are made from Lead, then don't use them........... and get longer arms, will ya :)

John

4. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Hi John!

I figured you'd be the one I'd be hearing from this late in the evening. Longer arms would come in handy. ::) I think I've decided to get a few small pieces of rock and super glue it on to the container. That should take care of it.

My husband and I didn't know if lead weights would be a good idea or not. I thought maybe if they were plastic coated they would be ok, but someone on another site also said they would not use the weights and would use LR..

Thanks

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

How about a piece of rock rubble, large shell, or use a glass container maybe??? :D :D

6. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Well, I see you read my mind....hehe ::)

7. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Cindy,

Yeah, it's only 2pm here :)

Do you plan on going through this routine for the rest of the corals life?

John

8. Click Here!

9. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Probably so John, I'd feel guilty if I didn't. Who knows, it may come back bigger and prettier than ever. Ya think? I figure as long as he keeps trying I will too.

Hi birdlady! I guess you were reading my mind. I'm using a plastic container that I drilled holes into. I cut a hole into the top of it so I could feed it with the baster through the hole. I'm letting a few small pieces of rock dry out right now and I'll glue them on tomorrow.

I hope it does ok. I'm leaving the house about 4 am fri to go to L.A. with my husband for a course he is taking. We won't be back till monday late . I have someone to come in and feed the fish but asking her to use the bowl with the brain and then have to wait awhile might be a bit much.

Thanks for the help!

Cindy

10. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Well ...Have Fun Cindy! Hope the rocks work and your brain gets well ;)

11. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Thanks birdlady! I just finished making up around 40 gls of water. I guess I'll do a water change before leaving town. Now that really will be fun don't you think?

It's 12:30 here so I think I'd better get myself in bed or my own brain won't be worth a flip in the morning. Patients don't like you coming at them with sharp instruments when your sleepy. In fact, they really don't like me coming at them with sharp instruments even when I am fully awake. People just don't like coming to the dentist. :huh: ::)

Good night all! [smiley=sleeping.gif]

12. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

;) Yup! I am a dental assistant! ;D