Will Emerald crab eat Halimeda?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Ashevillian, Aug 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

Picked some Halimeda up yesterday from my LFS which not only added the first macroalgae but also had a few good hitchhikers like hiding in the rocks and shells the Halimeda was clinging too. A few bristle worms, a few stomatellas, and some new pod's to add to the gene pool. My main reason for adding this is because it was readily available, has a few signs of bubble algae attached, and hopefully will provide a diet for my emerald grab. I don't believe I have sufficient algae growth otherwise to provide proper feeding for her, it's only a 29g BioCube..

Also, does this plant require any specials needs?

2. Click Here!

3. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

It needs a calcium to grow properly. I really doubt an emerald crab would munch on it. But I may be wrong. Either way halimeda can be a sweet addition to a reef tank. I would watch that bubble algae though. That can turn into a real pain.

4. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

I don't think there's usually much trouble with crabs eating calcerous algae like Halimdea. Your crab will eat leftover food (and enjoy it!) though, so make sure you do a little spot-feeding when you feed the fish, get some crab pellets (mine love those), or even put a little piece of sheet algae in there for it. Otherwise if it's hungry it will much on things you don't want it to (like corals).

5. Ashevillian

The point of adding the Halimdea was for the crab to have some food to eat -- what are some benefits of having it in my tank otherwise? (sorry newb question)

Should I go ahead then and manually remove the bubble algae before it takes hold?

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

The emerald may eat the bubble but no guarantee so I would remove it. Emeralds won't eat calcareous algae like Halimeda. They will eat all soft algae though. The Halimeda can help with lowering phosphate and nitrate levels.

7. Ashevillian

ty 2in10 - i originally purchased the calcareous algae to supplement his diet because i feel as if my tank is too clean, not enough algae growing and where it is growing is either too high on the glass or on the back panel of my tank -- places the crab can't reach

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Go with the supplemental feeding suggestion from SushiGirl if you are worried about the crab not getting enough to eat.

10. Ashevillian

Would these consist of the same algae tablets that I would provide a Plecostomus?

11. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Mine grab the algae tablets, taste it, then toss them aside LOL. You can try them, though.

12. Ashevillian

Threw some algae tabs meant for Plecostomus and my crab seemed to take it into his den and munched on it. One thing I like about the tabs is you can break them into much more realistic sizes for the size of your critter