will corraline aglae grow back?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by bdmetalmulisha, Mar 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bdmetalmulisha

bdmetalmulisha Plankton

hey everyone.
    i am still kinda new to the hobby. i am slowly learning more and more. luckily i have a small tank at the moment with hob filters and skimmers but will eventually buy a bigger set up with a sump.

just a question on live rock. my tank is finally phosphate free and the water parameters are good. i also have 2 wave makers to create some nice flow.

just wondering since some of my old live rock that had nice purple corraline algae on it died and turned white, will it every grow back on it??
    i have placed some new nicer pieces of rock in the tank covered in corraline so i am hoping it will spread to the pieces that once had it again.

i am using purple up to help give it a kick, but mainly keeping up with water changes which i do every second week about 10%.

thanks

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Yes it will grow back.

4. gt40425hp

gt40425hp Feather Duster

it will come back now what color will it be lol my purple turned to white white turned to pink with bright green in some spots some is changeing back to purple its nuts lol

5. gt40425hp

gt40425hp Feather Duster

oh and some that was dark green has changed to a deep red i have only seen in 2 other tanks

6. libog2fish

libog2fish Fire Shrimp

some times the coraline does turn red...and don't get me wrong it might appear to be looking like cyano but it really is hardened red coraline..;)

7. Jesus

Jesus Flamingo Tongue

yea it should grow back with proper calcium levels :p

8. Click Here!

9. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

Coralline needs more than just proper lighting, flow and water quality. It also needs Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium. Regular water changes with a good salt can be enough to keep the levels up. Do you know what the Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium levels are?

I would stop using purple up. It really doesn't help grow coralline.

10. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Yes, coralline always grows back :) It may not be the same color though, it can generally range from very light pink to dark wine red, with various shades of purple in between. The color that dominates will depend on your specific tank chemistry and lighting.

11. trijam

trijam Coral Banded Shrimp

If you want to speed up the process. Take one of your new rocks with coralline and hold it high in the tank while scraping some of the coralline off. This will speed up the seeding process. Just make sure you turn off all your flow while spreading it around so it has a chance to settle in the areas you want seeded. JM2C;)

12. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

IMO coralline grows better on already dead coralline. purple up is a waste of money, just dose magnesium and calcium.