will coralline algae die in a move?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by billybaldwin3, Sep 20, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billybaldwin3

billybaldwin3 Skunk Shrimp

I've got some really great purple coralline algae growing in my tank, but i'm moving in a couple months.

my question is, when I empty the tank during the move (i'm only moving like 2 miles away) will the coralline die when it's dry for a couple hours?

I've also got some green "hairy" looking algae growing on the foam pad of my HOB skimmer, it looks kinda cool, and doesn't seem to be harming anything, so I've just let it be. it looks kinda like cheato algae, but I've never bought any....will this just grow out of nowhere? or should I be worries about it?

2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

A couple of hours dry is going to kill off some where it will turn white. Personally when ever I moved a tank I scraped it off and started from scratch because I hate die off. Plus I know coralline algae uses calcium and alkalinity so I felt like I could get stability in my tank faster. Probably not an issue but it's just how my mind works. I remove any green algae in my tank, it's a nuisance to me that can spread plus it could affect the skimmers performance down the road. Honestly though, it's up to you. Your not moving far so leave it and get it wet as soon as you can and see what happens

4. billybaldwin3

The green hairy stuff is only growing on the part of the skimmer where the water comes back into the tank, so i figure that's better than the outlet...

5. billybaldwin3

I'll probably just end up scraping it off. There's actually quite a bit growing on the shells of my turbo snails, so that'll probably bring some with it too.

I might just scrape it off and keep it in a cup or tupperware and water and then just dump it into the new location. At least it'll be seeded.

DSC reef likes this.
  6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

^^that is a great idea in terms of keeping some to seed. I agree with dsc in that scraping it may be a better way to go because the die off will turn white and aesthetically (sp) it won't look as good as the purple. I wouldn't worry about the algae if it's not affecting the flow rate.

7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Most Reefs are exposed to air for several hours a day in the blistering sun.Your move should not hurt the coralline provided it is done correctly.

Mr. Bill and mdbostwick like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1 to ^^^

I've moved tanks before with no problem. A couple of hours should have no ill effect.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

My experience has been the most common cause of die off is pronounced changes in water chemistry or lighting.

Mr. Bill likes this.
  11. billybaldwin3

Thanks everyone! I think I'll scrape SOME off to seed and leave the rest. If it died then I'll just scrape it off.

I may actually be upgrading in the move too. Right now i have a 55 glass tank. And one of my regulars at work says he's got an acrylic 72 bowfront with canopy, stand, etc just sitting in his basement empty that he'd let go for $150. I'm not really one for bowfronts, but I'm also not one too pass up a hell of a deal for an upgrade either!!

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

sounds like a good plan billy!

13. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I'm always up for a bigger upgrade. Lol.

Mr. Bill and Vinnyboombatz like this.