Will Blue Ball (Ochtodes) and Agardiella be safe fom an invert cleanup crew?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by NinjaBum, Mar 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NinjaBum

NinjaBum Spaghetti Worm

I recently added some Ochtodes and Agardhiella to my FO tank, will it take fire from a cleanup crew consisting of cerith's and blue legged hermit crabs? I dont want to add something that going to dominate my macro as its really pleasant to look at :)

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

sorry ninjabum - not sure
    bump for John Maloney or one of the other macro experts on this site

Steve

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Ceriths definitely no, I don't think hermits are ever an issue with algae other than hair algae. Who wants that in their tank anyway.

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Ochtodes produces quite a few secondary metabolists (toxins) so that should escape predation unless the clean up crew literally doesn't have anything else to eat.

6. NinjaBum

NinjaBum Spaghetti Worm

I decided to go with some blue legs. Unfortunately the blue ball has turned mostly clear and is either dying or went sexual. I dont know if I dont have enough light of what. The Agardiella is doing great though and growing slowly. It's a very pretty deep maroon color. The hermits leave it be as far as eating it. They do like to climb on it to get at food that gets caught there and dislodge it from the rock which is annoying haha.

If the Blue Ball is doing that for lack of light I just put it in a protein skimmer bubble diffuser cup with the foam all removed and placed it in front of a poweheads flow so its tumbling close to the surface for more light. Who knows maybe it will bounce back

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  7. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

blue ball seems to like a good amount of flow. it always did bad when i had it in low flow. CUC sounds fine, hermits may pick at dying portions but the rest should be fine.