Will anything eat this?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by jline, Aug 4, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jline

jline Astrea Snail

2. Click Here!

3. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

it looks like a type of Caulerpa. I would increase your snail population, but if you really want a Fish that eats it I would get a foxface

J

5. jline

jline Astrea Snail

Jason, I have a purple tang, snails,red,blue,scarlet crabs, and none of them eat it. It is very soft and feather like in texture.I'll gladly get a fox face if it will eat it. I have had a lawn mower blenny. No luck.

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Looks like could be bryopsis:

[​IMG]

Do google search. You will find lots of articles about.

This is a nasty plague.

(about.com)

Bryopsis sp. produce chemical defenses which can be toxic to many marine animals. Therefore, herbivorous animals that naturally eat algae will often avoid this alga species. Using natural predators for control is usually preferred by most hobbyists, but finding the right types of Hermit Crabs, Blennies, Zebrasoma & Ctenochaetus sp. Tangs or other animals that might eat Bryopsis can be a real challenge

Good Luck!

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Crap....it just might be bryopsis like Omard mentioned. I had a bad breakout in my old 90 which was transferred, unfortunately, to the newer 180. High mag levels seems to be the only thing that stunts its growth. What are your phospate levels at?

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I think the mag levels where just a part of the fix.. heavy strong skimming and kicking the P.H up to 8.7 for a few weeks seems to have had as much effect on its life cycle as the mag did. Get some laundry soda and kick the P.H up and then crank the skimmer up and take the magnesium using Kent's Tech D thats the only Mag. chloride that has any effect on it.. And it will burn out in about 3 weeks improvement will be seen in 5 days as a rule. But the higher P.H levels really keep most alga's at bay.