Will all of my fish die or should I be fine??

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by CMC53, Mar 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

What's with all the holier than thou snottiness in these threads? Infractions will be handed out if this type of posting behavior continues.

2. Click Here!

3. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

I'm a little late to this thread but I thought I'd throw in my opinion...

I would go ahead and use rodi. There is alot more in tap water than just phosphates and nitrates. Copper(harmful to angelfish), minerals, tons of excess nutrients... Lots of stuff that doesn't belong in a marine tank.

Do you need the best salt mix in the world, no. But I would atleast use rodi.

JMHO.

4. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

To the OP I'm sorry your thread got so hijacked. People are throwing around so much misinformation here it is confusing. Cosmo shouldnt have responded to you in that way for asking a simple question. I dont rememebr seeing this negativtiy to his posts asking questions back in november when he joined.

To clarify RO/DI water isn't a must in your situation but it will help algae issues and water clarity. Which i think you will have with all those huge fish. Look at it this way. Your complaint of the RO/DI looking ugly. In six months a tank of that size will have algae issues, and i gurantee they will be alot uglier than a RO/DI machine.

Best salt mix in the world from tests and results ive seen is IO, and coralife both of which are also the cheapest, Im curious as to what Premium salt is better.

5. wallstdrifter

wallstdrifter Flamingo Tongue

Wth?

Nana,

If I may respectfully submit-

This hobby is very expensive. You cannot run a 240 gal tank without money.

1 person likes this.
  6. wallstdrifter

IMO GFO is obsolete technology.!

7. wallstdrifter

IMO GFO is obsolete technology. Run down a load of good quality bio plastic pellets in TLF reactor. When the volume of pellets shrinks 60% put them in a net bag and throw them into a high flow area of your sump. Your nitrates should be undetectable and phosphates down to 8 PPB (that's parts per billion) by then. No more big maintenance and expense at that point. As for water, I would keep the fish healthy and hair algae out with Meersalz by Aquacraft. Meersaltz is inexpensive for public aquarium salt blend that covers all bases for fish. You can do as little or as much water change as needed, there are no toxins in the formula. It is very inexpensive.

After a year or so and your tank is wunderschoen you can play around with other salt manufacturers on a case by case basis. I still have a patch of 4" long hair algae on one short side of my 90 gal (from when I tried IO and O) which I leave undisturbed for the creatures to feed on and play with. It also waves around like guten tag.

I like the Dow Filmtec 50 ro membrane. Prove your tap pressure to be at least 45 to 80 psi and produce into a 50 gal food grade (Brute) trash can rigged with a float shut off valve.

Don't forget to support our sponsors as much as you can. Read at least 50 customer feedbacks on each piece of equipment BEFORE you buy it.

GOOD LUCK!

8. Click Here!

9. CMC53

CMC53 Astrea Snail

Thank you for the response. I understand what you're saying. November?!? He made it seem like he created this forum! :eek: lol..

10. CMC53

CMC53 Astrea Snail

Great info! thanks! I already used instant ocean reef crytals. Is this salt bad?

11. wallstdrifter

November Is Your Friend

Truth is usually hard to swallow in this very expensive hobby. I would use up what you have as you switch over to my guidelines. Make sure you have massive circulation in the top tank and flow through the sump that follows the skimmer manufacturers specs.

You may want to consider downsizing to a 55 gal cube tank.. It's probably much cheaper than doing what you have to satisfaction.

12. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

OK so here is my 2 cents.

Ideally RO/DI is best but not 100% necessary depending on how good your water is. Try googling your local municipal water dept. or if you can borrow a TDS meter check it out for yourself. You can use Salifert "PRIME" to avoid the algae issues with tap water but ultimately that would be a lot more expensive than just buying a RO/DI unit. There are also compact units that make DI water like this Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Tap Water Filter

Either way performing a water change with Tap water will help lower the organics your fish are putting out. But you will want to find an alternate solution long term.

Also I don't see why anyone would say your tank needs to be at least a year old for the fish you have. That is simply wrong!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.