Will all of my fish die or should I be fine??

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by CMC53, Mar 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CMC53

CMC53 Astrea Snail

I have a 240 gallon FOWLR tank. I originally purchased a Spectrapure RO/DI system but returned it because it looked hideous in attached to my kitchen sink. Keep in mind I do live on the 2nd floor so I do not really have access to a basement sink, and my bathroom sink is (Pedestal style) so there is no under sink compartment for the system.

The guy at the LFS told me that tap water should be fine being that I only have a FOWLR tank, and that he only uses tap water as well. (Keep in mind I have a wet/dry filtration system (sump), and I have two 40W UV lights).

Ok so I filled the tank up with tap water, cycled it for a few weeks. Put fish in there and everything is great! Now my question is if I do a 30% water change will it completely throw off the water chemistry causing my $1000s' of dollars of livestock to die? Of am I just being paranoid?

My tank consists of Triggers, Tang, Angels, Wrasses..

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

good luck! no tank under 1 year should have that livestock IMO. Are we getting punked? lol

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Why in the world did ya send the rodi back? enjoy your algae issues

5. CMC53

CMC53 Astrea Snail

No not punked! lol. All the fish are doing fine. They have been thriving for a couple of months now. If you read what I wrote I dont want to hook the RODI system up in my kitchen and have no other option. And so far no algae outbreaks. (probably due to the UV lgihts)..

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

lol, enjoy your temporarily algae free tank. It won't last long. And if ya have a 240g, you should have the money to keep the rodi unit as well as 2 huge totes and a pump to pump up WC's from the basement to the tank. if not buy 4-8 5 gallon buckets and use those.

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

and most rodi's have a tap hook up that allows ya to temporarily hook it up and disconnect as needed

8. Click Here!

9. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I don't have the option of permanently hooking up my ro/di either. I just us the tap attachment to fill up my reserves and then put it away until needed. But I have a wee lil tank too ;)

IMO there are other ways of discouraging algae growth besides the use of Ro/di water. We've been doing it for YEARS! Ro/di hasn't always been around and available to the hobbiest.

Get yourself a good GFO reactor and for a FOWLR you'll be fine :)

10. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

wow 240 gallons of tap water...what is the TDS of your tap water? did you treat it with prime? or any other tap water treatment? What exactly is a few weeks..14 days? You are on a bubble my friend......JMO
    Many things can be done to help....but, first of all what are all your parameter readings...please list them all for further assistance.
    I am very curious. :eek:

1 person likes this.
  11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

True but $125 buys ya a lot of worry free water and is a lot less cash than a reactor. Still running my initial RODI resin even though its been "spent " for months

1 person likes this.
  12. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Being kind of harsh aren't ya there Cosmo? Chill out a little. Just because he's got a 240 doesn't mean he's got money geeeezzz.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.