Will adding an extra U-tube help with more flow?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by petey463, May 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. petey463

petey463 Astrea Snail

Will adding an extra U-tube to my overflow box help with more flow in my tank? I don't think I'm getting enough flow in my tank, it seems like I need more. I have a Eshopps PF-1000 overflow box, with a mag 9.5 return pump.

I actually have to limit my return pumps flow with a valve or else my return section will get sucked almost dry in my sump. It just seems like I should try and use my return pump to it's max, but my overflow can't put out as much as it should.

So, if I add another U-tube to the overflow will it increase my flow?? Orrrrr do I need to just buy a bigger overflowbox x.x :-/ Hopefully if it will I can let my return pump work a bit harder in a sense to increase my gph in the tank.

Also, if I add another U-tube, will this be bad or do you foresee any trouble in the future if my power goes out...

Thanks for your input!!

2. Click Here!

3. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

A Mag 9.5 is like 950 GPH of flow, which you don't need anywhere near through your sump. You also don't need to "use it to its max"; a whole lot of people limit their return line.

4. glampka

glampka Coral Banded Shrimp

A 9.5 puts out 950 gal @ 0 head. Actual amount being circulated depends on how high the tank is from the pump, number of 90 degree bends, etc. Using another U-tube may help but it will then depend on how big the drain line is from the overflow to the sump.

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

"Head Height (in feet) Gallons per Hour
    0' 975
    1' 780
    3' 740
    5' 685
    7' 610
    10' 450
    12.85' shutoff"

Assuming 610GPH, that's still way more than you really need going through the sump.

6. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

and it has nothing to do with the overflow not providing enough, it has to do with your sponge in the sump limiting flow to your return section.

7. Nealio

Nealio Coral Banded Shrimp

I doubt that adding a U-Tube would help at all. It would probably make things worse. If you look at the overflow boxes with 2 U tubes, the drain is either huge, or there are 2 of them. If you were to add a 2nd U tube to a box with only 1 small drain, you'd cut the flow through the U-Tubes in half. These U-Tubes require a decent flow rate to prevent bubbles from building up at the top of the U and breaking the siphon.

If you want to increase your sump turnover, you'd need to upgrade your overflow box or get drilled.

8. Click Here!

9. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

A single 1" U tube can easily handle the 6-900gph flow rate that is limited only by the return pumps ability to put it back in the tank again.

I have tried to increase flow this way before and invariably what happens is the flow rate is split between the 2 and one or both start getting an air bubble at the top of the tube due to the low velocity flow not being able to push or pull the air through the tube.

solution: add a ball valve to the return line and restrict it about 1/4 turn till the sump isn't sucked dry, then try adding an extra gallon or two of water to the sump so the level is where you want it. mark that level so you know how much top off water to add when needed.