will a cycle kill algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by KRem4, Nov 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. KRem4

KRem4 Plankton

So i am setting up a 120g tank. Well i have had it up for about a week.
    All the live rock i put in came from a 90g setup that has been running for about 2 years. so it is cured this i know i am going to add sand that is also alive will my tank cycle enough to kill the algae? or should i scrub it to get it all off?:-/

2. Click Here!

3. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

What kind of algae? If its a new tank going through a cycle then algae is normal to some extent.

4. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

The die off from the LR will help the cycle start as for killing algae you will get some after the cycle is finished. IMO i wouldnt scrub it off.

5. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

im testing something now with green dust algae(the hard green stuff that covers only your glass) i read that if you leave it alone, it'll eventually die off, if you scrape it, you're releasing algae spores which will inevitably find their way back to the glass. hopefully this die off theory for the green dust algae will work

6. KRem4

KRem4 Plankton

i have dellt with the dust if you let it get brown then you can wipe it out of the tank i have done that on my 34g tank the rock that i have received had some algae on it when i got it it seems to be whitening was just hoping it would die off

7. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

does it come back? i deal with this mess often, i'm hoping it rids itself completely

8. Click Here!

9. KRem4

KRem4 Plankton

If you let it get dark it will thicken then clean it off it makes an awfull sight on the glass but once it thickens it is gone also do a water change when you finally clean it to help get it clean