Will A, B, and Buffer hurt my Mandarins?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by CODEE111, Jun 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CODEE111

CODEE111 Peppermint Shrimp

As some of you already know, I have added Mandarin Dragonets to my main tank. I waited 3 years, did all the research, introduced a large supply of Pods and Rotifers, started raising baby brine shrimp, and baby proofed everything for my new little ones.

So how did I over look this one very important feature....who knows?

I changed the water on the main tank this weekend and was going to add my A, B, and Buffer. Then it occured to me, I'm not sure if the Mandarins can deal with the stress after I add these chemicals.

I believe A, B, and the Buffer are just a combination of Iodine, Calcium, and Magnesium. Not sure but that's the idea I have and has been in my head for years.

Will the Mandarins be OK if I add these to my tank. I'm planning on adding them after work so any thoughts would be appriciated.

2. Click Here!

3. APC

APC Gigas Clam

I try to stay away from those types of additives....I have had bad experiences with using buffers and tech and B. It is really hard to keep everything in check with them....in fact using them in prescribed amounts, I really messed up my overall system ballance. Now I tend to focus on testing Mag, Alk, and CA and then dose the appropriate bulk reef supply supplements as needed to keep them in check. I dont test PH, etc. at all any more. I have found if I can keep those three in line, life is good. I tossed out my buffer and tech a and b just the other day in fact, as I had not used them in well over a year. Just my 2 cents anyway...

4. Cole_lol

Cole_lol Flamingo Tongue

What do u add to your tank to raise kh if it's low? Also do you keep your kh around 10-11?

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If you are doing routine water changes, do not have larger clams, or stony corals you should not need to buffer or use any additives.

Regardless you should always test you Ca and Alk before you dose, if you need to dose then the addition of the product should not harm the mardarin. If your values are normal or above normal you should not dose anyways.

6. CODEE111

CODEE111 Peppermint Shrimp

I ordered 2 test kits, one for iodine and one for calcium and am waiting for them to arrive. I have never used the test kits on my saltwater tanks as I aways just added a capful after water changes and everything was fine. My little Mandarin Babies are worth the little extra money and work tho so I'll be sure to test.
    Thank you for your quick replys.