Wild growing aptasia like growth only green with red tips

Discussion in 'Algae' started by pstroh, Aug 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pstroh

pstroh Plankton

I have an unidentified type of hitchiker. Its similar to aptisia only it is green with red tips and grows in groups once it starts. It is growing on my LR. Has anyone heard of such a thing? I will send pics once my tank clears up, I just did a morning dose. Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. pstroh

pstroh Plankton

Here is a pic it is under the red monti. frag.

[​IMG]

4. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

6. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

North Yorkshire, England, Europe, Earth, Milkyway,
    Epicystis crucifer isn't a majano spp.

7. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

North Yorkshire, England, Europe, Earth, Milkyway,
    It does look like Anemonia manjano

8. Click Here!

9. pstroh

pstroh Plankton

Thanks folks. I suppose that must be it. The only thing that is troubling me when I look up Epicystis crucifer or majano spp I don't see any that are all green with just red tips. I did read that there are variations so I can't conclude anything other then the Epicystis crucifer. Last question, is this a problem situation? Would anyone know if the aptasia killer would take care of this aneome as well? Thanks for all the replies.

10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Look up Tulip Anemones, some ppl sell them on Ebay too, so look there also. From my understanding, they sting just like Aiptasia, but some ppl keep them b/c of their colors.

Luna

11. Reefdiver72

Reefdiver72 Feather Duster

I have given up on killing them and since I changed to a Anenome tank they all seem to get along I have manjos in three colors green,red and a brownish color. They seem to get along with anenomes.

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I don't believe that tulip anemones and a. majano are the same species but I do know that some people like tulips and have them in their tanks. They don't seem to reproduce as quickly as aiptasia and majano from what I understand. That being said, I'd nuke them. I had a huge problem with them several years ago and the only way I was able to rid myself of them was to break down the tank. They won't do much damage to soft or lps corals but they will sting the heck out of sps corals.

PS. I'm not sure if you're aware or not but your flowerpot coral is badly bleached.