Wild caught clown fish

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by whiptofiz, Sep 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. whiptofiz

whiptofiz Fire Worm

I have a "wild" clown fish who paired up with my tank bread as soon as he got in the tank. He was doing great and 2 days ago he had a little bit of slime on his back which left over night, but now he spends most of his time swimming against my powerhead. I had a maroon do this when he had ich and it did eventually take him. This guy does not look to have ich or Brooklynella. I did notice he has 2 little white spots on him but they dont seem to be increasing or going away. The slime has left and now its time to join the swim team cause he works against that current most of the day, for the past 2 days. He is not very big maybe 1-1.5 inch

Anyone know it there is any reason for concern?

Picture are pointless if you want to see the white dots. They are so small and he never stops moving so the pictures are not clear enough to see them.

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. macabe

macabe Purple Spiny Lobster

things in the wild shuild stay in the wild in not put into a salt water fish tank thats my 2 cents if u caught him in the wild put him back and go spend 15$ on a tank raise clown fish :)

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Honestly, nearly every fish in the trade that's not a clownfish or banggai cardinal is wild caught. Nearly every invert of every type, too.

So, about your question, it could be an issue of them pairing up, and figuring out who's dominant. It could also be that they're both already females.

1 person likes this.
  5. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

well that was a blatant attempt at doing absolutely nothing to help the poster.
    1. they dont have clown fish in Alberta Canada
    2. while most of the clownfish in the trade are tank bred, there are still some caught wild.
    3. a local company here Sustainable Aquatics is successfully breeding and raising many different species of fish including Bi-color angels!
    4. 90% or more of the fish available at your local pet store are wild caught.

if you feel so passionate about the fish, please list what you have in your tank.

to the OP, I would keep an eye on it to see if it spreads of you see any other signs. My Black Onxy loves the currents in my tank and spends most of her day in the stronger flows.

1 person likes this.
  6. whiptofiz

whiptofiz Fire Worm

Thanks guys. And as most of you assumed but i did not clairify that i did not catch this clownfish but he was brough into my lfs as a "wild caught" fish

7. Dendak

Dendak Astrea Snail

Honistly if you think the creatures should be left in the while then you are in the wrong hobby my friend. I have noticed from my personal exp. that most wild caught fish will swim into powerheads because they are trying to get back the currents they felt in the ocean. Fish generally use strong currents to exercise when they feel safe and well fed. Its a survival technique to keep the fish strong and fast to evade prodators. I bet if u put a more powerful pump in there the clown would be lovin it!!! I have two tank bred true and they both sit right by my sump return jet... ironicly its the strong jet in my tank also. One other thing your clwon might need is some Thiamine or vitamin B1. As we feed our fish foods rich is thismanase it furthur breaks down our pets current reserves of B1, resulting in a poor life quality, honistly 90 percent of fish in this hobby have b1 deficiency so im willing to bet. I use a product by kent called Zoe and i soak my food in it before feeding. It really helps to replace some of those lost vitamins

8. Click Here!

9. macabe

yah i find ur first statement hard to believe sense theres 100s of fish farms all over raisieng 100s of diffrent kinds of fish and from what ive heard takeing a wild clown fish from the wild and aclimateing it to a tank would be xtremley tuff

10. macabe

well i dont buy wild caught fish cuz thats rong imo a fish that was never in the wild wont miss it if they have ben in there they shuild leve them there

11. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Ok, so look at the internet's biggest fish retailer, liveaquaria.com. Guess how many species of captive-bred fish they have?

You know how many fish are successfully bred on commercial scales? Clownfish are the biggest. Banggai cardinals too. Then seahorses, and some dottybacks. Mandarins are just starting to come into the hobby as tank bred, as ORA literally just started selling them. That's about 6 different genera of fish.

You know what fish are NEVER tank bred?

Tangs, triggers, wrasses, sharks, squirrelfish, scorpions, rays, puffers, lionfish, jawfish, hogfish, hawkfish, grunts, groupers, foxfaces, filefish, eels, dartfish, butterflyfish, boxfish, blennies, batfish, basslets, anthias, anglers, angelfish, and any other fish you can imagine. That's every other genus of fish; there's probably a couple hundred genera.

That sailfin tang in your tank? Wild caught. The firefish? Wild caught. The "maroon clowns" are probably captive bred, since they're not maroon clowns at all, but occelaris clowns. The sand sifting blenny/goby? Wild caught. The blue chromis? Wild caught. Your tank is mostly wild caught fish, and you don't even know it!

Oh, and about clownfish having problems adapting to captive life: Wild clownfish are quite possibly the hardiest fish, in terms of shipping, and adaptability to captive life, and they're on par with (other) damsels in terms of survivability during an ammonia/nitrite spike. You literally picked the worst example possible to illustrate that a fish has trouble adapting to captivity from the wild. Why not something like a frogfish or filefish, where it takes months of training to get them eating food???? There's a reason clowns were the first fish to be bred successfully in a tank, first to be raised from eggs to adulthood, and still the only saltwater fish to be bred at the commercial scale to the point of creating different color and pattern morphs, and also the the point of making wild caught clownfish of the most common species nearly pointless.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  12. Dendak

Dendak Astrea Snail