wierd behavior

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by mastamind360, Feb 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mastamind360

mastamind360 Astrea Snail

well i have this stars and stripes puffer (its kinda like a saddle puffer) and he has been in my tank for about 2 months. for the first month adn 3 weeks he was constantly out and swimming around. He would eat CONSTANTLY and id see him all the time. I did notice that he had a bunch of specks on his fins and they looked like they were coming apart but this has since completely cleared up.

Last week I put a cleaner wrasse that my friend had (he took down his tank and it was all that was left i dont exactly condone taking them out of the ocean but there was no where else for it to go) into my tank. Within SECONDS he was all over the puffer. Since then I have only seen the puffer (who looks really good) at feeding time, and he seems to run away as soon as he takes notice of the cleaner. He is eating though and his fins are completely healed and when he is swimming he is doing so in a normal fashion. Could he be afraid of the cleaner? All of my other fish love it and chase it for cleanings? Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

If I am thinking of a stars and stripes puffer the are NOT at all like saddle puffers... Canthigasters are the saddles and stay small and have "pointed" snouts stars and stripes have a more "regular" puffer body and get large....
    Anyway back on topic...
    Sometimes fish can be irritated by cleaners, they have an episode where the cleaner picks off healthy tissue isn't of dead tissue or a parasite, it hurts the "customer" and then they refrain from using the cleaner again. Its no different than if you do to the dentist or barber and they hurt you on accident, you will be more hesistant to go next time than if the experience was pleasurable.
    With any puffers, it is best to maintain STELLAR water quality as they are very susceptable to parasites and put out a LOT of NH3 that needs to be addressed via large, frequent water changes.
    Keep up the water quality and keep him well fed and the puffer will be fine.

Happy reefing!

4. mastamind360

mastamind360 Astrea Snail

thanks a lot. that does make sence. but the stars and stripes does have the same body shape as a saddle puffer at least the size he is now... mines tiny too. hes only about an inch and a half...

5. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

As Frag stated the puffer is being irritated, mainly because they have no scales. I would remove one or the other.