wideboy DIY fuge???

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by camfam, Aug 8, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. camfam

camfam Astrea Snail

Being a nube, I need to know if this is possible or if there is a better solution.
    I only have a limited (wierd space) amount of space under my 46 gal bow (21.5 x 18 x 10 LxWXD). I am wanting to build it out of glass with a divider across the total length 6 inches from the back. The back division would also be divided in half for small sump (6x10.5) and return (6x10.5). Is this possible?

This will give me about a 8-9 gal fuge is that enough?

I will try to figure out how to post a diagram.

Thanks for the input.

2. Click Here!

3. camfam

camfam Astrea Snail

Diagram

Here is my best try at a Diagram.:-/

I don't think that I will have enough heigth for a protein skimmer in the sump, so I was just going to settle on a HOT skimmer, unless anyone has any better suggestions.:confused:

Please give input and suggestions on design.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

4. camfam

camfam Astrea Snail

More Questions

Could I run the return from the HOT skimmer down to the 'Fuge? I don't think that the area I had alotted for the sump is big enough and this will allow for more room for the return volume (less worries about evaporation).

5. camfam

camfam Astrea Snail

Actually acrylic would probably be better

6. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

One question are you saying you're gonna have the water coming out of your skimmer going down to the fuge with no overflow or sihon overflow box?

IMO you should get a overflow, have it run to the sump, pump your skimmer in the sump or have in hang the side of the sump, and have a return pump.
    An overflow is nice because it will only take as much water down as your pump puts back. be careful not to have a pump stronger than your overflow. this should work better said that water levels are maintaned precisly....

Im a noob too and im 14!! started my first tank (55 gal) and im successful so far. 3reef is a place that all noobs should join and help others as they become more experianced. WELCOME to the hobby!

7. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

just read obout height...i have the same problem. so what i did was move my tank about 6 inches away from my wall and have the skimmer hang on the sump so it would not be under the stand but behind it. Wait! is the back of your stand open or closed?

8. Click Here!

9. camfam

camfam Astrea Snail

The back of the stand is closed and now up against a wall
    That is a good idea, I might have been able to open up the back and reinforce the stand before it had 400 lbs on it. Bad planning on my part, just part of the learning process though.

Keep the ideas coming though, Thanks.

10. camfam

camfam Astrea Snail

tanked

OK I have scrapped this pipe dream and am going in a totally new, although more traditional direction.

Thanks anyway!!