Wide spectrum LED build: ALL IN

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by exactlyobp, Nov 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

And Im gonna get the pink/red millie :p

2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

lol depending on what I get in the mail tomorrow it might be gone!

4. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Oh snap!!!

LED is finally there??

5. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

i got 2 bags of lenses and some electronics in the first box. One was sent Fedex the big bunch ups that should be here tomorrow?

6. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Hey mati, yup been a while! Hows your 72g (wasnt it?)? I receive similar questions quite a few times ever since the build. The reason why I went with the cluster placement was to blend the certain colors as much as possible: neutral white and cool white. I dont see any spotlighting, I can call it a success and Im very happy with the placement. But I was also told that the cyan/turquoise should be placed close to whites ideally.

I hope this helps!

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

So now that you have had the lights up and for a while what changes would you make?

How are the corals doing?

I really like the color pop LED give the corals. I am considering a change in the future after making some other upgrades. I am thinking of getting all Bridgelux LED now that they have all of the colors you got. I really like their 10000K white. I would get the heat sinks and drivers from RapidLED. What are your thoughts on this plan?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Hey John!
    Im very happy with it so far! I might like it a tad more blueish maybe? (only because I always like it more blue than needed) But the corals look very happy so... Im happy too!

Here is the recent top down pic:
    [​IMG]

Ok the Bridgelux from AquaStyle. I wouldnt use them, I dont want you to either. If they were the authentic Bridgelux, they wouldnt be that cheap. (Sadly, one of the few ways to tell if it's a good LEDs of not is the price.) Hunter (evolved) would be on the same page. FoD swears that youd need 3 Bridgelux to be equivalent to 1 Cree. Id get everything from Rapid including, especially, LEDs.

10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Tank and corals look great. OK then just the 398nm LED from Aquastyle? I am thinking 80 or 90 degree optics since my tank is shorter than yours.

11. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Yeah, the 398nm I believe is important, so you should get them from AquaStyle but limit the order only to that.

12. thang45

thang45 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Can anyone please tell me if the 398nm or 420nm UV is harmful if look into it for a short period of time? I’m thinking of spillage.

Also, Aqaustyle has 420nm Actinic Violet. Has anyone considered it?

Thanks