Wich light should I Buy

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Dchavez, Sep 21, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Before getting anything, you really need to look at Aqua Illumination SOLs. They just dropped their price, so you could get a unit that was $600 just a couple weeks ago for $400 now. These are the most tested and loved LEDs in the industry, and you will not be disappointed.

2. Click Here!

3. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

If you are looking at par bulbs, I recommend BoostLED par30s. A LOT of ppl here are using them with great results and they are priced fair. I would start with 3 on your tank and you could add a fourth later if you need it. That's the nice thing about par30s, you can add as needed.

As for the rapid kit, that's also a great route. And the 24 kit would be plenty for that tank. Evolved has a lot of knowledge about the rapid kits.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

4. insanespain

I think three BoostLED Par30s would be around 225 bucks or so, and would get you off to a rockin start on your reef tank.

5. Dchavez

Dchavez Plankton

Thanks guys. The boost par30s are very appealing. They have a really nice modern look. What type of fixture would u recommend with these types of lights
    EDIT: I dont know how i missed em but the fixtures were right there. If I got three, which combonations of leds would u go for? Also What you think for 4 of them?

As for the Sols, They are very Nice as well. I will be doing some more research on these and return when i have questions, thanks for recommending those.

@Evolved - Are the dimmable rapidleds able to be hooked up to a controller to simulate sunrise/sunset? Is there also some sort of way that I could dress these up? they are very nice but the do have somewhat of an ugly appearance, unless I just havent seen any fully completed units

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  6. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I'm not evolved but the dimable drivers come in "d" or "p" versions. The D is controllable with just a simple knob type controller. The "p" is controlable with a PWM compatible controller. Actually boost led sells a "typhoon" PWM controller for like $55 or something. Looks awesome.

As to aesthetics, you can certainly build a nice wood fixture for it or something. I've seen others do something more modern with acrylic. Your imagination is the limit really...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. insanespain

Look at evolveds thread. He did a super nice job with the finished product and I think it looks great

8. Click Here!

9. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

^ Like they said.

This thread

10. Dchavez

Dchavez Plankton

Ok I think ive decided to go with the Rapid lighting kit. So far what Ive got is:

Kit: 195.00
    Fans:45
    Heatsink: 45
    Total:285

Thats not bad at all. I'm interested in putting a controller on it to get weather simulation. Is there anything im missing to the vuild so far and what additional items do I need to buy to have a functional light

11. insanespain

Possibly a hanging kit if you will be hanging the light (rapid carries them)

Soldering Iron?

And also, I'm not sure on the size of heat sink/sinks you plan to use, but the fans may not be needed. Honestly the heat sinks we use to build these lights are WAY overkill in most cases, and especially if you are hanging the light in the open air, I dont see the need for fans. Just plopping a fan on top of the heat sink doesnt really do a ton anyways. To make it more effective it would need a shroud. So you may want to omit the 45 bucks for the fans until you have your light running and take some temp readings, and if for some reason you are getting too hot you could add the fans later.

12. heidimi

heidimi Fire Shrimp

Lol ignore mr. Spell check up there, I mean really was it that big of a deal that he mis-typed (everyone knew what he meant)

Anyhew (yes I know that isn't a real word hehehe). I run two of the AI sol super blue fixtures. I love, love, love them. I get beautiful shimmer and great color. The controller is really easy plug and play. Also I have some awesome acros that are just starting to show their true colors now that I have been running these lights for 6 months. When I started my first tank I too was overwhelmed by lighting choices. I went with metal halide in the end because of initial price to start up. After changing my lamp (light bulb) once I started to see the benefits that came with the LEDs, you buy them once.... Well may have to replace bulbs sooner or later, like in years. But T5s are ebb worse. I ran them and a halide next then before I dropped $30 a bulb for a ten bulb fixture I decided it was time for the change. I did tons of research on LEDs and decided on the AIs. They have great customer service, and are easy to set up and run. Long term will be the real test, but stuff I'm my tank is thriving and growing with beautiful color so thats enough proof for me. Hope this was helpful. Best of luck with whatever you decide!
    Heidi