Why you don't feed your mantis by hand....

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Triplemom, Nov 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

hmm, hmmm, hmmm! Lucky you be!
    Little smashers can still hurt and cause damage!

Bob gave me a little "love tap" once when I was careless and was re-rockscaping her tank and destroyed her den. She came out and tapped me with her tail. That was enough of a reminder how dangerous these guys can be and the respect they deserve!

Dont forget about their uropods on their tail! Those can cause some SERIOUS damage from what I understand! I am not sure if all the type of mantis have them or not, but Bobs was gigantic!

Just be careful......dont allow it to happen again young man! LOL

2. Click Here!

3. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

that sounds like a cool job! (it really does im not kidding!)

4. catdancr6

catdancr6 Astrea Snail

I'm new here, and just browsing for info on inverts for a CUC, but I came upon this thread and HAD to read it. This article (link above) has got to be one of the most HILARIOUS things I've ever read!
    Yeah, NOT a good idea to put hands near a mantis. LOL, thanks for the laugh!

5. salsalito25

salsalito25 Stylophora

A some what wise Redneck neck once said befor he died.."THIS GOING TO BE PRETTY KEWL,.... OR PRETTY DUMB...."

6. mantis

mantis Flamingo Tongue

i pick up my mantis, never had a problem, as long as they are use to you, and dont mind a few warning smacks, then after a while they will let you pick them up and hand feed them, i have noticed that particularly males are alot less aggressive, ive been handling crabs, of different kinds since i was two, and have found be gentle and calm, but always be careful, as there are always some personalities that will never let you touch them, by the way i am commercial fisherman thats how i have my experience.