Why you don't feed your mantis by hand....

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Triplemom, Nov 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Omg, lol... Tongs are definitely made for a reason! Id hate to be attacked by one of those things if they can supposable break smaller aquariums... :lol:

Hopefully the lesson has been learned... And its not one of those try again situations... :lol:

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

im not sure.... without pics... i think ill have to verify this story on snopes ;)

4. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

Repeat this on video and you would get a ton of hits on YouTube.

5. WuWu

WuWu Feather Star

heh Fred used to knock the crap outta the skewer I fed him on but , after a while he mellowed and I can hand feed him he even lets me stroke his back lol like my crazy little dog >,< . also pics I wanna see :O)~

6. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

1 person likes this.
  7. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Darwin was on to something.

lol

8. Click Here!

9. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

So, is this one of those BS stories about a mantis hurting their owners?

LOL

Jwin is very lucky that it was not a spearing mantis, that is all I have to say.

10. wilko82

wilko82 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

haha dont let him do it again he could lose the ability to play xbox and that could be life threatening

11. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Seriously guys...I'm not THAT stupid :lol: If it was a spearer I would never stick my hand in the tank :p And if it was a Peacock, I wouldn't have tried to hand feed him.

Yep. Our 3" long Bo popped me right in the thumbnail. No it's not going to turn blue and fall off or spontaneously combust, it just hurt like a mo fo for a few seconds :D Picture someone with metal fingertips flicking you in the thumb. You know, the flick where you use your whole arm to attempt as much pain an the victim as possible. That's the only way I can describe what it felt like, so all in all it wasn't bad.

The weird thing is, I had hand fed Bo a few times before. But he had just beat the snot out of a Florida Cerith snail for his dinner, so maybe he was in a "smashing" mood. And then he only ate about 1/4" of the krill I was trying to give him, so maybe he just wasn't hungry.

12. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Justin, Justin, Justin

:whip: No more of that.

I've been tagged by a peacock mantis but luckily she only gave me a warning blow. I've picked up many a mantis but I've had reason to. When we would cure LR, we were curing 3 or 4000 pounds at a time and I was walking in the rock pond and nabbing mantis, crabs, etc. It's just not worth the risk to touch them unless you have to.