Why would you

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by mrsavage84, Apr 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mrsavage84

mrsavage84 Feather Duster

Why would you turn your system( filters and other things likes skimmers) off at night. I have heard of people doing this a couple of times on 3reef and i thought you are suppose to have everything running. Personal choice?

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Noise is the normal reason people would give
    if an aquarium is located in a sleeping area, then that may cause problems for sleep for some people

my preference is to leave everything running 24/7 and do not locate aquariums in bedroom for this reason

when I was younger and lived in a bed sit (single room apartment) I had a freshwater set up, UG filter etc and it was pretty noisy, but like a ticking clock, you can get accustomed to it and then block it out

4. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Some cut the skimmer off at night because that's when they feed their tank phyto/zooplankton, and or any type of supplement. They want the corals and fish to get all the food. As you know as I do the skimmer will take out some of the food during the process.

5. mrsavage84

mrsavage84 Feather Duster

I'm going to be getting coral soon and for my small tank that sounds like a good idea to shut off filtration for a few minutes to make sure the coral get a meal. Is that common to do or no